- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, J.D., 2013, International Law Review, Ziegler Fellow
- University of Houston, B.S., 2010, summa cum laude, Honors College
- Texas, 2013
- Minnesota, 2014
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
700 North Pearl Street
Twenty-Fifth Floor - Plaza of the Americas
Dallas, Texas 75201
214-880-2808 direct | 214-871-8209 fax
Matthew Kolodoski is a litigation attorney who has successfully represented clients through all phases of trial and appellate proceedings in state and federal courts throughout Texas. His practice focuses primarily on the representation of insurance carriers in all aspects of contractual and extra-contractual litigation. Matthew also devotes a significant portion of his practice to advising insurers on coverage matters, including drafting coverage opinions as well as other coverage-related documents.
After graduating from SMU Dedman School of Law, Matthew served as a law clerk for the Honorable Irma C. Ramirez on the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas. Matthew is also active in the local and statewide legal communities, and he currently serves on the Board of Directors of the State Bar of Texas as well as the State Bar of Texas' Pattern Jury Charge Committee. He is also a frequent speaker at legal seminars, where he speaks on a variety of litigation and constitutional law topics.
- Obtained post-appraisal state and federal court summary judgments on behalf of property insurance carriers, dismissing all contractual and extra-contractual claims after payment of the appraisal award.
- Obtained summary judgment in state court in favor of a property insurer on the grounds that the plaintiff lacked standing to bring claims for breach of contract or violations of the Deceptive Trade Practices Act.
- Secured multiple summary judgments on contractual and extra-contractual claims brought against insurance companies in relation to the scope of coverage based on the policy terms.
- Obtained favorable rulings in relation to various motions to remand filed by plaintiffs based upon the fraudulent joinder of a resident insurance adjuster.
- Represented and advised insurers regarding complex contractual issues, including policy interpretation, contractual indemnification, duty to defend, and additional insured tenders.
- Negotiated favorable settlements in cases involving breach of contract, violations of the Texas Insurance Code and Deceptive Trade Practices Act, and breach of the common law duty of good faith and fair dealing against insurance companies and adjusters in commercial and residential cases.
- Argued appeal at the Second Court of Appeals involving an ownership dispute over property.
Professional and Community Activities
- Board of Directors, State Bar of Texas, Section Representative, 2018 - Present
- Pattern Jury Charge Oversight Committee, State Bar of Texas, Member, 2018 - Present
- Civil Liberties & Civil Rights Section, State Bar of Texas
- Chair, 2016 - 2017
- Council Member, 2015 - Present
- Insurance Law Section, State Bar of Texas, Member, 2018 - Present
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Member, 2014 - Present
- Dallas Bar Association, Member, 2014 - Present
- William "Mac" Taylor American Inn of Court, Associate Member, 2015 - Present
- Dallas Symphony Orchestra, Vivaldi Patron Circle, 2017 - Present
Speeches and Presentations
- Constitutional Issues of Public Monuments: Are Any Monuments Safe?, 12th Annual Bill of Rights Course, TexasBarCLE (May 24, 2018).
- Top Ten Things Every Law Clerk Should Know, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas, 2017 Fall Seminar for Judicial Law Clerks (October 3, 2017) (with Magistrate Judge Jeffrey L. Cureton and Magistrate Judge Rebecca Rutherford).
- Waivers of Class Action/Collective Action in Arbitration Agreements, National Employment Law Association, Dallas/Ft. Worth NELA Affiliate (August 9, 2017).
- Private Prisons: Constitutional Litigation Against Non-State Defendants, State Bar of Texas Annual Meeting (June 23, 2017).
- Private Prisons: Constitutional Litigation Against Non-State Defendants, 11th Annual Bill of Rights Course, TexasBarCLE (May 26, 2017).
- Waivers of Class Action/Collective Action in Arbitration Agreements, Dallas Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section Meeting (May 15, 2017).
- First Amendment Rights of Public Employees, 10th Annual Bill of Rights Course, TexasBarCLE (May 27, 2016).
- Obscenity: Is Anything Obscene Anymore?, 9th Annual Bill of Rights Course, TexasBarCLE (May 29, 2015).
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2018 - Present
- Texas Bar College, Member, 2014 - Present
- DAYL Foundation, Life Fellow, 2017 - Present
- Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas, Member, 2014 - 2015
The Future of Collective Employment Arbitration: Reconciling the FAA with the NLRA, FLSA, & Other Federal Rights, 22 TEX. J. ON C.L. & C.R. 153 (2017)
U.S. Supreme Court Update, The College Bulletin, Texas Bar College (Fall 2015).