- St. Mary's University School of Law, J.D., 1991, cum laude, Associate Editor, St. Mary’s Law Journal, John M. Harlan Society
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A., 1984
- Texas, 1991
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
700 North Pearl Street
Twenty-Fifth Floor - Plaza of the Americas
Dallas, Texas 75201
214-871-8274 direct | 214-871-8209 fax
Jody Stasney provides direct representation of insurance carriers in matters of coverage and bad faith. She advises insurers on a local, state and national level, regularly rendering coverage opinions and litigating coverage issues and bad faith.
Jody has significant experience in all lines of commercial insurance, including general liability, excess/umbrella liability, property, auto and professional liability. Jody has also handled a number of coverage issues arising under the liability portions of the homeowner's policy. She also regularly serves as monitoring/coverage counsel for excess insurers, advising them on the potential liability and exposure under their policies. Related to this aspect of her practice, Jody also advises insurers in matters involving the Stowers doctrine. She frequently analyzes coverage issues arising under risk-shifting schemes, such as indemnity agreements and additional insured requirements, in the various industries in which those issues arise.
Jody serves as the co-editor of the Insurance Coverage and Litigation Section E-Mail Blast Case Updates.
- Obtained summary judgment for insurer where plaintiffs asserted a direct action Stowers claim under prior statute despite Texas Supreme Court and Federal District Court authority in plaintiff’s favor.
- Obtained summary judgment in Arizona federal court for insurer against co-insurer for additional insured coverage in construction defect case involving 900 homes.
- Obtained summary judgment for insurer for claims against condominium owners association by condominium owners for mishandling hurricane damage.
- Obtained appellate judgment for insurer addressing exception to employers' liability exclusion.
- Obtained bench trial verdict for insurer in construction defect claim in federal court.
- Coverage and litigation counsel in various types of commercial property claims, such as hail and wind damage, and theft of copper wiring, resulting in favorable settlements.
- Coverage and litigation counsel in various types of professional liability claims, resulting in favorable settlements.
- Coverage, litigation and appellate counsel involving enforceability of an indemnity agreement.
- Excess monitoring counsel in multiple lawsuits involving construction defects, construction accidents, oilfield accidents, product liability, and auto liability, obtaining favorable settlements.
- Coverage and litigation counsel in Hurricane Katrina, Dolly and Ike claims.
- Coverage and monitoring counsel in nationwide pharmaceutical litigation, resulting in favorable settlement for an insurer under an international policy program.
- Drafted policy endorsements.
- Obtained summary judgment for insurer involving voluntary payment and notice conditions.
- Obtained agreed dismissal from insured in coverage case involving policy exclusion after filing a motion for summary judgment.
Professional and Community Activities
- CLM Insurance Coverage Committee; Co-Chair of Webinar Subcommittee 2014-Present
Speeches and Presentations
- "Breaking Up is Hard to Do: Allocation of Covered and Uncovered Claims in Settlements and Judgments", 2016 CLM New York
- "Conditions, Trigger and Rights Against Other Carriers - Where Have We Been and Where Are We Now?", Lennar Corp. v. Markel Am. Ins. Co., Thompson Coe's Texas Litigation Update 2014
- 2014 Texas Coverage Update and Insurance Code Primer for RSUI Group, Inc.
- "Contractual Liability and Additional Insured Provisions: What You Don't Know Can Hurt You" for Markel Insurance, 2014
- "Please Read my Diary: How to Communicate in a Claim File" for Markel Insurance, 2014
- "Reserving Rights and Declining Coverage" for PLRB/LIRB National Claims Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, 2013
- "What is the Status of Contractual Indemnity and Additional Insured Coverage in Claims Involving Construction?" Thompson Coe's 11th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, October 25, 2012
- "A Stowers Update", Thompson Coe's 10th Annual Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments
- Texas Update 2011: Coverage and Tort Law for RSUI Group, Inc., Atlanta, Georgia
- Texas Update 2010: Coverage and Tort Law for RSUI Group, Inc., Atlanta, Georgia
- Texas Update 2009: Coverage and Tort Law for RSUI Group, Inc., Atlanta, Georgia
- "Shifting Risk in Complex Claims Through Contractual Indemnity and Additional Insured Coverage" for PLRB/LIRB Large Loss Conference November 15-17, 2010 (New Orleans, LA)
- "Eight-Corners and Use of Extrinsic Evidence" for Thompson Coe's 9th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, May 6, 2010
- “Are Eight Corners Enough? The Use of Extrinsic Evidence in Determining An Insurer’s Duty to Defend” for PLRB Regional Claims Conferences 2009 (Providence RI, Chicago IL, Austin TX)
- Don’s Bldg. Supply, Inc. v. OneBeacon Ins. Co., 267 S.W.3d 20 (Tex. 2008): The Implications of the “Actual Injury”Trigger in Texas and Texas Update 2009: Coverage and Tort Law for RSUI Group, Inc., Atlanta, Georgia
- “Doing It Right the First Time: Reserving Rights and Denying Coverage” for
PLRB Regional Claims Conferences 2008 (Tampa, FL, Des Moines, IA, Sacramento, CA)
- “Doing It Right the First Time: Reserving Rights and Denying Coverage for Thompson, Coe 8th Annual Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, 2008
- Texas Update 2008: Coverage and Tort Law for RSUI Group, Inc., Atlanta, Georgia
- Texas Update 2007: Coverage and Tort Law for RSUI Group, Inc., Atlanta, Georgia
- Texas Update 2007: Coverage and Tort Law for RLI/Mt. Hawley Insurance Company, Peoria, Illinois
- Texas Update 2007: Coverage and Tort Law for Republic Group, Dallas, Texas
- "AV Preeminent" Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell