- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 1990, Order of the Barons’ Outstanding Graduate
- Rice University, M.A., 1981, Geology
- Baylor University, B.S., 1977, Geology, Mortar Board
- Texas, 1990
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
Houston, Texas 77056
713-403-8281 direct | 713-403-8299 fax
Janis Detloff defends and counsels businesses on a wide range of products liability, construction, employment, commercial, and insurance coverage disputes.
Janis is a former petroleum geologist with Amoco Production Company, Monsanto Company, and Amerada Hess Corporation.
- Obtained favorable settlement with EEOC in potential “pattern and practice” concerns for an employer confronted with multiple claimants alleging sexual discrimination and harassment.
- Represented medical supply distributor in products indemnity suit and at verdict recouped all defense expenses from the manufacturer.
- Represented medical supply distributor in indemnity suit and recouped all expenses from the manufacturer.
- Represented construction company in employment contract dispute and obtained reimbursement for breach.
- Represented oil and gas drilling company in rig explosion and obtained favorable settlement for operator by proving co-defendants’ equipment failure.
- Represented insurance company at trial of declaratory judgment action and obtained take-nothing judgment against insured industrial dry cleaners under qualified pollution exclusion by proving negligent contamination of Uvalde aquifer.
- Represented local bank at trial of lender liability suit and secured take-nothing judgment against accountholder by proving manipulation of accounts.
- Represented chemical solvent manufacturer against claims by salon workers and secured dismissal by proving product misuse.
- Represented casino owner in contract dispute and secured dismissal of claims by proving contract was forged.
- Represented drilling contractor at arbitration of soil contamination claims and obtained take-nothing judgment by proving pre-existing contamination.
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas, Insurance Law and Labor & Employment Law sections
- Dress for Success, Houston Chapter
- Construction Law Section
- Dress for Success, Houston Chapter, Wardrobe Volunteer
Speeches and Presentations
- Has been a speaker for CLE programs sponsored by the Texas State Bar, South Texas College of Law, the University of Houston, and Thompson Coe seminars.
- AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell