Jim Sowder defends architects and engineers relating to professional liability claims, breach of contract, and deception trade practice claims. His experience includes litigation and arbitrations concerning design defects, and responding to complaints filed with state professional licensing boards.
- Obtained settlement for architect in class action alleging violation of its federal and state disability acts.
- Obtained settlement for design engineer in water detection system affecting 12 homes.
- Obtained summary judgment for claims asserted against forensic engineer for professional negligence.
- Coordinated defense counsel in multiple homeowner and commercial claims for storm damage against engineer arising from Hurricane Katrina.
Professional and Community Activities
- Defense Research Institute
- Texas Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- United States Army, 5 years - Captain
Speeches and Presentations
- Discovery Issues Affecting Forensic Engineering, HAAG Engineering
- Mechanics and Materialman’s Liens in Texas, HAAG Engineering