- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, J.D., Dean's Honor List, Articles Editor
- University of California at Los Angeles, B.A.
|Hao Nguyen focuses her practice on professional liability work, specializing in complex matters involving the defense of professionals against errors and omissions claims, labor and employment, wage and hour claims, commercial litigation, and insurance litigation. Hao also has extensive experience handling Anti-SLAPP claims arising from constitutional rights of free speech or petitioning. She also regularly handles the defense of both consumer and wage and hour class actions in both state and federal court. Hao further counsels and advises clients on contractual matters, policies and procedures and identifying, assessing and reducing areas of risk.|
- Obtained dismissal of class action allegations, civil conspiracy and accounting and disgorgement claim in a “silent PPO” putative class action case against administrators and health insurers in United States District Court, Central District of California. Hao then obtained summary judgment on the remaining breach of contract and unjust enrichment claims, and also obtained a favorable ruling on Rule 11 Sanctions against the Plaintiff and his attorney.
- Obtained dismissal of a shareholder derivative Complaint and a Cross Complaint in Orange County Complex Court for fraud and misrepresentation, fraudulent concealment, professional malpractice, conspiracy to commit fraud and breach of fiduciary duty against attorney defendants based upon conduct protected by the litigation privilege pursuant to a Special Motion to Strike under California’s anti-SLAPP statute and an award of attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Obtained dismissal of Complaint for violation of California Penal Code § 637 and intentional infliction of emotional distress under California’s anti-SLAPP statute, pursuant to CCP § 425.16(e)(4) conduct in furtherance of the exercise of the constitutional right of free speech in connection with a public issue or an issue of public interest and an order for attorneys’ fees and cost in Los Angeles Superior Court.
- Obtained dismissal of a Complaint for abuse of process, intentional infliction of emotional distress and declaratory relief pursuant to a Special Motion to Strike under California’s anti-SLAPP statute and an award of attorneys fees’ and costs for her clients in Superior Court of California, Riverside.
- Obtained dismissal of a Complaint for extortion and intentional infliction of emotional distress under the litigation privilege in favor of attorney defendants pursuant to California’s anti-SLAPP statute in Los Angeles Superior Court and attorneys’ fees and costs.
Professional and Community Activities
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice
- The Filipino American Chamber of Commerce, Los Angeles
- South Region High School #2 Professional Outreach Program
- Co-Author, "Don’t You (Forget About Me): The Purpose, Force, and Effect of Insurance Policy Conditions (Notice, Voluntary Payments, and Cooperation) and Case Law Updates", ABA Insurance Coverage Seminar, March 5, 2016
- Co-Author, "The Defense of Insureds and Alleged Bad Faith Delay in Settlement by Insurers", ABA Insurance Coverage Seminar, March 6, 2015
- Co-Author, “Budget cuts continue to increase litigation costs in California,” Daily Journal, January 25, 2013
- Co-author, “Silence Is Not Always Golden: When a Partner’s Instructions Go Unchallenged and an Associate’s Obligation to Speak Up,” DRI’s The Whisper, November 12, 2012
Speeches and Presentations
- “A Critical Discussion of Diversity and Inclusion In The Insurance Industry.”, ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Seminar, March 3, 2017.
- "Don’t You (Forget About Me): The Purpose, Force, and Effect of Insurance Policy Conditions (Notice, Voluntary Payments, and Cooperation) and Case Law Updates", ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, March 5, 2016.
- "Claims Handling Experts: How to Find Them, Manage Them, and Win with Them", ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, March 6, 2015