- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1995, with honors, Articles Editor Journal of Women & the Law
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1992, English and French, with high honors
- Texas, 1995
- United States District Court Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas
- United States District Court Northern, Western and Eastern Districts of Oklahoma
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth, Eighth, Ninth and Tenth Circuits
- United States District Court Colorado
700 North Pearl Street
Twenty-Fifth Floor - Plaza of the Americas
Dallas, Texas 75201
214-871-8220 direct | 214-871-8209 fax
Ellen Van Meir represents commercial lines insurers in matters including questions of coverage, Stowers’ liability and “bad faith.” Ellen vigorously represents her carrier clients in cases throughout the country.
Ellen has also handled appellate matters in various Texas appellate courts and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth, Eighth, Ninth and Tenth Circuits. She frequently counsels her clients in matters of policy contract rights and obligations, good faith duties to insureds and settlement and allocation issues involving single and multi-carrier cases. Ellen represents some of the largest and most sophisticated insurers in areas of liability, professional errors and omissions, property, umbrella and excess coverage.
- Prevailed in Oklahoma and Tenth Circuit on issues involving general liability and employer liability coverage for workplace injuries.
- Prevailed in Texas trial and appellate courts on claims for pollution coverage.
- Represented insurance carriers in several multi-million dollar "personal and advertising injury" claims in litigation.
- Prevailed on case of first impression involving West Virginia workplace accident and multi-state coverage issues.
- Designated national coverage counsel for the Deepwater Horizon incident on behalf of a major insurance group.
- Representing an insurance carrier in coverage disputes involving international losses and Defense Base Act claims.
- Representing major insurers evaluating massive construction litigation claims in Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, and Texas.
- Represented a major insurance company in an appeal to the Eighth Circuit resolving issues of what is an "occurrence" under Arkansas law.
- Obtained a jury verdict and appellate decision in favor of major insurance company client in a case of allocation of covered damages between two insurers in a construction defect matter.
- Represented a major insurance company in trial and appeal that the claims for trademark infringement and unfair competition did not state claims in "personal and advertising injury" in the insurance policy.
- Represented a major insurance company in an appeal in which the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit affirmed the district court's judgment allocating a settlement to uncovered claims and requiring the insured to reimburse the carrier.
- Negotiated a settlement on behalf of major insurer to resolve a multi-million dollar dispute between major travel industries entities.
- Litigated a commercial indemnity case of first impression between major petrochemical companies.
- Prevailed in California Federal Court in personal and advertising injury case determining the scope of libel and slander offense coverage under 9th Circuit law.
- Negotiated resolution of multi-insurer copyright infringement case involving horizontal allocation, primary/excess and personal and advertising injury issues regarding theft of architectural plans.
- Negotiated resolution on behalf of major insurers claims under professional errors & omissions policies for Fair Claims Act, TRCA, RICO and class action allegations successfully.
- Tried to judgment in client’s favor advertising injury coverage disputes involving theft of trade names and trade secrets.
- Resolved commercial property claim for storm damage/bad faith.
Professional and Community Activities
- DRI (Defense Research Institute)
- Texas State Bar Tort & Insurance Practice Group
- ABA Tort & Insurance Section
- Dallas Women’s Lawyer Association
Speeches and Presentations
- "An Excess Carrier's Duty to Defend: A Slippery Slope in a Tangled Web?", 2014 ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Seminar, March 6-8, 2014
- ICLC, 25th Annual ABA CLE Seminar, Feb. 27-March 7, 2013
- "Stepping Back: Mid-Continent Ins. Co v. Liberty Mutual Ins. Co." 16th Annual Insurance Law Institute, University of Texas, Nov. 3-4, 2011
- "Payback - The Nuts & Bolts of the Allocation Case" for Thompson Coe's 9th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, May 6, 2010
- "Good Faith Claims Handling", 7th Annual Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments (2007)
- "The ABCs of DJs", 6th Annual Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments (2006)
- Mentoring Dallas Woman and the Law Association (2006)
- "Documentation, Duplication & Doom", All Industry Day (2005)
- Numerous client CE/CLE presentations specifically tailored for the client’s individual needs and benefit
- Chambers USA, Band 2 for Insurance in Texas, 2013-2018
- Named by peers to The Best Lawyers in America® 2015-2019 in the field of Insurance Law. (Copyright 2015 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC)
- American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel
- Named Top Rated Lawyer in Insurance Law by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell™
- Law & Politics magazine's Texas Super Lawyers® - Super Lawyer for Insurance Coverage (2010-2016)
- Law & Politics magazine, Texas Rising Star (2004 - 2010)
- D Magazine, Best Lawyers in Dallas Under 40 (2006)
- “AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell.