- South Texas College of Law, J.D., 1994
- Texas, 1995
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas, 2000
700 North Pearl Street
Twenty-Fifth Floor - Plaza of the Americas
Dallas, Texas 75201
214-871-8290 direct | 214-871-8209 fax
Chuck Shiver started as a prosecutor, so he learned how to aggressively argue cases in the face of a variety of obstacles. Chuck’s practice focuses on the defense of commercial trucking/transportation companies, retail suppliers of LP Gas and on premises defect cases. He has handled over 300 commercial trucking cases. Chuck has considerable first-chair trial experience defending wrongful death and serious personal injury claims. Chuck is also a talented negotiator with history of success in mediation and resolving cases early outside of mediation.
- Handled numerous on-scene emergency response cases by leading the investigation of catastrophic trucking accidents and LP Gas explosions involving cases with up to six fatalities. Directed investigation on-scene. Hired experts and investigators and assigned their tasks. Facilitated investigation by and defense of insured from law enforcement.
- As part of defense of fatality trucking accident, sued TxDOT based on defective roadway condition in a county outside the mandatory venue provision that applied to TxDOT. The trial court’s granting of TxDOT’s Motion to Dismiss was reversed on appeal in 2018.
- Selected in 2018 by major trucking company to review companywide safety procedures and recommend changes to address DOT compliance issues exposed during recent litigation.
- Obtained a jury verdict of no negligence on our insured gasoline tanker truck in a multi-vehicle motor accident case that resulted in disabling injuries to the Plaintiff. Also, recovered almost $6,000 in taxable court costs from Plaintiff.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a jury trial involving a multi-vehicle fatality accident against the insured trucking company based on claims of negligence.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a jury trial involving a fatality motor vehicle accident against the insured trucking company based upon claims of negligent maintenance.
- Obtained defense verdict in federal court jury trial involving a fatal motor vehicle accident against an insured trucking company and driver based upon claims of negligence and gross negligence.
- Obtained favorable verdict in a three-week jury trial involving a fatality residential propane explosion case, against the insured propane company based upon claims of negligence and gross negligence.
- Won summary judgment in a tractor-trailer accident case filed in Bosque County, which terminated the entire case against the clients.
- Obtained settlement of almost 100% from Defendants in property damage and worker’s compensation subrogation claims resulting from a serious trucking accident. These Defendants subsequently obtained a defense verdict against the remaining individual plaintiff at trial.
Professional and Community Activities
- Dallas Bar Association
- Claims & Litigation Management (CLM) - Premium Member
- Propane Gas Defense Association
Speeches and Presentations
- Litigation Venue Issues, Presenter, National Transportation & Construction Seminar, Fayetteville, Arkansas & Chicago, Illinois
- Liability & Coverage Issues in Trucking Cases, Co-Author and Co-Presenter, (Tx Dept. of Insurance approved Adjuster CE Program)
- Claims Handling and the Emergency Response Case, Author & Presenter, (Tx Dept. of Insurance approved Adjuster CE Program)