- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1998
- Member, National Moot Court Competition Team
- Finalist, Maynard Pirsig Moot Court
- Hamline University, B.A., 1995, Political Science and Philosophy
- Suma cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Minnesota, 1998
- California, 2007
- North Dakota, 2010
- Wisconsin, 2010
- United States District Court Minnesota
- United States District Court Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin
- United States District Court Eastern District of Arkansas
408 St. Peter Street, Suite 510
The Historic Hamm Building
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55102
651-389-5000 direct | 651-389-5099 fax
Chris is an experienced litigator with first-chair trial experience and a proven track record of success. He has prevailed in multimillion-dollar insurance coverage disputes and successfully represented clients at trial and on appeal in multiple states. In his broad practice, Chris works with insurance companies to resolve coverage disputes and defends businesses from personal and product liability claims.
- Secured a judgment of over $1.8 million in a coverage dispute between excess insurers arising out of a construction defect claim. The judgment included 100% of the client’s attorney’s fees. The case settled shortly after the defendant’s motion to stay enforcement of the judgment was denied.
- Recovered over $1 million in coverage dispute arising out of multiple insurers’ duty to defend a common insured from a construction defect claim.
- Lead counsel in trials conducted in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Represented attorneys and design professionals.
- Defended class proceedings in multiple forums.
- Tried to verdict personal injury claim against global crane and lifting equipment manufacturer in which liability and damages were contested.
- Summary judgment in multimillion-dollar product defect claim involving a quadriplegic who fell from a ladder. (Lenzen v. Garon Products, Inc., 2011 WL 5177713 (D. Minn. 2011)).
- Developed nationwide defense strategy for major heavy equipment manufacturer used to secure dismissals in asbestos claims across the country.
- Summary judgment in numerous product liability claims arising out of manufacture and/or sale of asbestos-containing products.
- Summary judgment dismissing all claims against insurer arising out of broken pipe and resulting water damage in insured's home. (Syfko v. Encompass Indemnity Co., 2013 WL 4409430 (D. Minn. 2013)).
- Summary judgment in breach of contract action arising out of delivery of wind turbine equipment, resulting in dismissal of plaintiff’s claim and award of over $125,000 for our client.
Real Property Disputes:
- Summary judgment dismissing all claims brought by purchaser under Interstate Land Sales Act as well as state statutory and common law. (Streambend Properties III, LLC v. Sexton Lofts, LLC, 2012 WL 38338 (D. Minn. 2012)); (Streambend Properties II, LLC v. Ivy Tower Minneapolis, LLC, 2011 WL 839390, (D. Minn. 2011)).
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Member, Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Rising Star, Minnesota Law & Politics (2005-2009, 2011, 2013)