- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1998
- Member, National Moot Court Competition Team
- Finalist, Maynard Pirsig Moot Court
- Hamline University, B.A., 1995, Political Science and Philosophy
- Suma cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Minnesota, 1998
- California, 2007
- North Dakota, 2010
- Wisconsin, 2010
- United States District Court Minnesota
- United States District Court Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin
- United States District Court Eastern District of Arkansas
408 St. Peter Street, Suite 510
The Historic Hamm Building
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55102
651-389-5000 direct | 651-389-5099 fax
An experienced litigator with first-chair trial experience, Chris has successfully defended class action lawsuits as well as product and premises liability claims, has prevailed in multimillion-dollar insurance coverage disputes, and routinely advises and defends attorneys, architects, appraisal management companies and other practicing professionals.
- Secured a judgment of over $1.8 million for an insurance company in a coverage dispute between excess insurers arising out of a construction defect claim. The judgment included 100% of the client’s attorney’s fees. The case settled shortly after Chris defeated the defendant insurer’s motion to stay enforcement of the judgment.
- Recovered over $1 million in coverage dispute arising out of multiple insurers’ duty to defend a common insured from a construction defect claim.
- Lead counsel in trials conducted in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Successfully represented attorneys, design professionals and appraisal management company.
- Defended class proceedings in multiple forums.
- Tried to verdict personal injury claim against global crane and lifting equipment manufacturer in which liability and damages were contested.
- Summary judgment in multimillion-dollar product defect claim involving a quadriplegic who fell from a ladder. (Lenzen v. Garon Products, Inc., 2011 WL 5177713 (D. Minn. 2011)).
- Developed nationwide defense strategy for global crane manufacturer used to secure dismissals in asbestos claims across the country.
- Summary judgment in numerous product liability claims arising out of manufacture and/or sale of asbestos-containing products.
- Summary judgment dismissing first-party claim arising out of broken pipe and resulting water damage in insured’s home. (Syfko v. Encompass Indemnity Co., 2013 WL 4409430 (D. Minn. 2013)).
- Summary judgment in breach of contract action arising out of delivery of wind turbine equipment, resulting in dismissal of plaintiff’s claim and award of over $125,000 for the client.
- Summary judgment dismissing all claims brought by purchaser under Interstate Land Sales Act as well as state statutory and common law. (Streambend Properties III, LLC v. Sexton Lofts, LLC, 2012 WL 38338 (D. Minn. 2012)); (Streambend Properties II, LLC v. Ivy Tower Minneapolis, LLC, 2011 WL 839390, (D. Minn. 2011)).
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Member, Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Rising Star, Minnesota Law & Politics (2005-2009, 2011, 2013)