Both employers and their liability insurers depend on Thompson Coe to navigate the employment law maze, resolve sensitive employment-related issues and reduce the risk of costly employment lawsuits. We represent both private and public sector management in connection with all employment-related matters, including compliance with the FLSA, TITLE VII, ADEA, ADA, the FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT, WARN, the National Labor Relations Act, OSHA, and other federal, state and local laws regulating employment. We have an active administrative, arbitration, and trial and appellate litigation practice before state and federal courts at all levels, the EEOC, Texas Workforce Commission, NLRB, Department of Labor, Department of Justice and other agencies, representing management in connection with government audits and against allegations of discrimination, sexual harassment, wrongful termination, workers’ compensation retaliation, civil rights violations, unfair labor practices, employment related tort claims (e.g., defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligent hiring, training and supervision, invasion of privacy, assault, etc.), trade secret/breach of fiduciary duty violations, “whistleblower” and other employment-related claims, enforcement of and defense against covenants not to compete, and class actions, representative actions for unpaid overtime under the FLSA, and other multiple-plaintiff lawsuits.
We also regularly counsel management concerning their personnel policies, practices and procedures and impending personnel decisions and also provide free, value-added services to our clients in order to minimize potential exposure before litigation ever arises, including:
- Audits of personnel policies, practices and procedures
- Review and drafting of employee handbooks
- Quarterly free publication of a Labor & Employment Newsletter and periodic as-needed e-bulletins to keep clients abreast of the latest court decisions and legislative changes which may affect labor management relations and human resources practices
- A free, all-day, CLE and HR CE-accredited Annual Labor & Employment Seminar for clients, carriers and invited friends of the firm
- In-house HR, EEO and sexual harassment training.
We represent a wide range of clients from large, publicly traded corporations to “mom and pop” local businesses, from colleges and school districts to cities, police and fire departments, municipal utility districts and other public entities.
Practice Highlights: Labor & Employment Attorneys
- Four Board Certified specialists in Labor & Employment Law—four by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization (one in Dallas, one in Houston, two in Austin), and one by the Minnesota State Bar—one of whom (in the Dallas office) is among the small number of lawyers in Texas who is Board Certified in both Labor & Employment Law and Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- The partner in charge of the Labor & Employment Section holds a Master of Laws Degree in Labor and Employment Law and is a Former Regional Attorney for the EEOC’s Dallas District office, who was responsible for all EEOC enforcement litigation in North and West Texas and all of Oklahoma.
Insurance Defense Representation
We are approved panel counsel for a number of insurance carriers which issue employment practices liability insurance (EPLI) to protect employers against liability and defense costs in discrimination or other employment lawsuits. We have defended all manner of employment litigation brought against individuals, companies, and governmental entities insured by, e.g., AIG, Zurich, CNA, Firemen’s Fund, Lexington, Monitor Liability, St. Paul-Travelers, Chubb, Arch, Starr Companies, Houston Casualty, Allied World, RSUI, Hanover, Freedom Specialty/Nationwide, Liberty, etc.
In addition to Texas, California, Louisiana, and Minnesota, where the firm’s offices are located, we represent employers throughout the U.S. and have represented clients in matters pending in Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, and Washington, D.C.
Thompson Coe also represents employers before many federal, state and local administrative agencies, including the EEOC, the National Labor Relations Board, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, ICE, the Department of Labor, the Texas Workforce Commission, and various local fair employment practices agencies.
When litigation is necessary, our lawyers thoroughly investigate and aggressively defend the litigation while at the same time understanding the importance and cost-effectiveness of early case analysis and risk assessment in order to quickly identify those cases which should be settled versus those which have little merit or damage exposure.