Tasha Barnes has defended hundreds of catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases involving significant exposure. She focuses on personal injury litigation and primarily represents construction companies and trucking companies. Additionally, her practice includes premises liability, products liability, recreational liability such as health and fitness clubs, as well as claims against non-subscribing employers. Additionally, Tasha has extensive experience in professional negligence cases including defending physicians, nurses, and real estate professionals.
In 2011, the Texas Supreme Court affirmed a summary judgment motion authored by Tasha in Foreman v. Allen Keller Co. This opinion represents a significant change in Texas law concerning the duty of a construction contractor. Another summary judgment she authored was affirmed by the Third Court of Appeals in 2011, and is significant with respect to insurance in the construction industry.
- Obtained summary judgment for a national health club chain by enforcing a pre-injury release of liability.
- Resolved a wrongful death suit on behalf of an construction company arising from a major natural gas explosion in Austin, Texas.
- Authored summary judgment ultimately affirmed by Texas Supreme Court in favor of general contractor involving drowning death of 19 year-old female that substantially changed Texas law on the duty of a contractor.
- Obtained unanimous defense verdict for premises owner/construction company in a trucking accident at a gravel pit.
- Negotiated favorable settlement in severe burn injury case on behalf of non-subscribing employer.
- Handled defense of medical device case resulting in defense verdict on behalf of one of America’s largest manufacturers of healthcare supplies.
- Obtained take-nothing judgment in wrongful death products liability case in which jury awarded damages against Co-Defendant for 17 million dollars.
- Negotiated favorable settlement in double-fatality products liability action involving allegedly defective wheel.
- Defended national motor carrier in triple-fatality trucking accident case.
- Won dispositive motion in favor of large commercial construction company in case involving construction worker who fell 25 feet sustaining significant injury.
- Obtained favorable settlement ($2500.00) for one of world’s largest suppliers of beverage cooling equipment in products liability action.
- Won summary judgment in food poisoning case on behalf of one of America’s premiere food service providers.
- Wrote summary judgment affirmed by Third Court of Appeals extending workers’ comp in favor of general contractor based upon an OCIP policy.
Professional and Community Activities
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, Chair of Trial Academy 2011
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel, District Director 2005-2007
Speeches and Presentations
- Texas Super Lawyers – Texas Rising Star, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008
- University of Oklahoma, J.D., 1996, cum laude, Order of the Coif
- Oklahoma State University, B.S., 1993, Journalism and Broadcasting, cum laude