- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 2003, Houston Business & Tax Law Journal
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.A., 2000, Spanish and Psychology
- Texas, 2003
- United States District Court Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court Western District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit, 2010
Austin, Texas 78701
512-703-5047 direct | 512-708-8777 fax
Stephanie S. Rojo is Board Certified in Labor & Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and has been repeatedly named a Texas Rising Star. Stephanie’s practice focuses on representing employers and their leadership in discrimination and retaliation lawsuits and charges of discrimination, wage claims, suits for breach of contract and various employment-related torts, and suits for violation of state and federal statutes, such as the FLSA, the FMLA, WARN, and the Texas workers’ compensation retaliation statute. In addition, Stephanie advises businesses on creating and updating employee handbooks and policies, proactively avoiding employee complaints, non-competes and other contractual issues, and compliance with various employment statutes. Stephanie also frequently represents business entities in a variety of commercial matters.
- Obtained a favorable stipulation limiting damages and ultimately the favorable resolution of a lawsuit alleging, among numerous other claims, breach of employment contract by a company’s founders.
- Obtained summary judgment for an employer in a lawsuit alleging pregnancy and disability discrimination, affirmed on appeal by the Fifth Circuit.
- Obtained a jury verdict for an employer in a Fair Labor Standards Act lawsuit for the alleged misclassification of an exempt employee.
- Obtained the voluntary dismissal of a race and national origin discrimination and retaliation claim pending against a restaurant chain following the plaintiff's deposition.
- Successfully advised a client on a 300-employee layoff including providing advice on avoiding disparate impact claims, WARN Act compliance, and severance packages, without litigation ensuing for the business.
- Obtained the dismissal of a student’s 42 U.S.C. §1983 claims against a school district in a federal case involving allegations of the use of excessive force by a school district police officer.
- Obtained summary judgment for an employer in a lawsuit alleging gender discrimination, sexual harassment, Equal Pay Act violations, and retaliation.
- Obtained summary judgment on several claims by a custom homebuilder against a homeowners association, leading to the case’s resolution on highly favorable terms.
- Obtained summary judgment for an employer in a workers’ compensation retaliation lawsuit.
- Obtained the dismissal of an action brought against a homeowners association involving an alleged improper foreclosure, as well as sanctions against the plaintiff.
- Successfully represented and advocated for clients before various federal agencies, including EEOC, ICE, and DOL, and many state agencies.
- Negotiated favorable settlements for a number of employers in lawsuits alleging breach of employment contracts, discrimination and harassment, fraud, tortious interference, defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, etc.
Professional and Community Activities
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Labor and Employment Law, 2009
- Austin Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law section, Member of Law Day, Bench Bar, and Legal Build Committees, 2011-2014
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- State Bar of Texas, Labor & Employment Law Section
- Robert W. Calvert Inn of Court, Associate Member, 2011-2014
- Texas Bar Foundation - Fellow
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM), Professional Liability Committee, Member
- DRI Employment and Labor Law Committee, Social Media Vice Chair, 2012
- Houston Bar Association, Co-Chair, Habitat for Humanity Committee, 2008-2009
- Houston Bar Association, Member, Habitat for Humanity Committee, 2005-2010
Speeches and Presentations
- Is Your Handbook Up to Date? How Not to let Your Employee Handbook be Used Against You, Eighth Annual Thompson Coe Labor & Employment Seminar, Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons, L.L.P., March 6, 2014
- How to Fight (and Win) Unemployment Compensation Claims, Seventh Annual Thompson Coe Labor & Employment Seminar, Thompson Coe, Cousins & Irons, L.L.P., February 21, 2013
- The Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act: What Employers and Their Insurers Need to Know, 7th Annual National Employment Practices Liability Insurance ExecuSummit Conference, October 2, 2012
- How to Document Performance and Disciplinary Issues to Avoid (or Win) Unemployment Litigation, Austin Human Resource Management Association Annual Conference, August 24, 2012
- Discovery Into a Plaintiff's Immigration Status, South Texas College of Law 25th Annual Employment Law Conference, July 19, 2012
- Disability Etiquette, In-House Client Seminar, July 12, 2012
- Texas Employment Law Update, In-House Client Seminar, April 10, 2012
- The New ADAAA Regulations, Sixth Annual Thompson Coe Labor & Employment Seminar, Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons, L.L.P., January 11, 2012
- Dealing With Chronic Absenteeism - Things You Need To Consider Before Disciplining/Terminating an Absentee Employee, Fifth Annual Labor and Employment Section Seminar, Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons, L.L.P., October 28, 2010
- Handling Terminations and Lay-Offs in a Down Economy, Fourth Annual Labor & Employment Section Seminar, Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons, L.L.P., October 27, 2009
- Employment Law Update (Brace Yourself for Major Changes!), Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update 2009, Thompson Coe Houston Seminar (2009)
- Workplace Torts & Employee Misconduct and Hot Issues Under the FLSA & Avoiding Common FLSA Pitfalls, Third Annual Labor and Employment Section Seminar, Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons, L.L.P., October 1, 2008
- Employment Law from A to Z, Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update Seminar, Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons, L.L.P., September 10, 2008
- Business Insurance Policies Update: E&O, CGL, Keyman, Employment Liability, Etc., Advising Small and Mid-Sized Businesses, University of Houston Law Foundation, 2004–2008
- Recruiting & Hiring Top Employees (While Avoiding Liability), In-House Client Seminar, May 31, 2007
- Get Ready for the New E-Discovery Rules!, Second Annual Labor and Employment Section Seminar, Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons, L.L.P., February 22, 2007
- Employment Relationships, Special Compensation Plans for Non-Exempt Employees, and Enforcement/Litigation Issues, Lorman Educational Services, March 18, 2005
- Significant New Developments in Discrimination & Retaliation Law, Council on Education in Management, February 8, 2005
- Law & Politics magazine's 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Texas Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars list
- H Texas Magazine, Houston Professionals on the Fast Track, 2008-2009