Rhonda Thompson’s practice involves direct representation of insurance carriers, including primary, umbrella and excess insurers in a variety of coverage-related litigation, bad faith cases and carrier-to-carrier disputes. She regularly advises insurers, agents and brokers on coverage issues under commercial liability, auto, farm, and property policies as well as errors and omissions policies, directors and officers policies and homeowners’ policies.
Rhonda also has experience advising insurers about additional insured issues, shared defense and indemnity obligations and contractual indemnity disputes, including litigating these issues on their behalf.
Rhonda has presented numerous speeches and papers on a wide range of insurance issues to adjusters and lawyers as in-house training and for continuing education credit.
- Tried Hurricane Ike lawsuit through jury verdict resulting in amicable settlement during appeal process.
- Represented insurers in judicial proceedings involving appraisal.
- Obtained state summary judgment ruling on the applicability of Named Driver Exclusion in context of an uninsured/underinsured motorist claim.
- Obtained federal court summary judgment on behalf of liability insurer on securities errors and omissions claim due to insured’s failure to satisfy condition precedent to coverage.
- Obtained state summary judgment ruling on behalf of liability insurer due to claimant’s failure to meet requirements of the additional insured endorsement.
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court on behalf of lawyers’ professional liability insurer on issues related to whether legal services and covered damages were alleged or established.
- Obtained summary judgment state court in favor of personal property insurers on the grounds that the claimant lacked standing to assert insurance code violations for failing to include general contractor’s overhead and profit in replacement cost estimates.
- Obtained summary judgment in federal court on behalf of personal liability insurer resulting in finding of no duty to defend or indemnify in case on basis of the absence of an occurrence.
- Defended excess legal liability insurer in bad faith/declaratory judgment action by advancing the application of policy’s retroactive date and resulting in insurer’s settlement contribution well below policy limits.
- Represented and advised various insurers in further investigating numerous personal and commercial property claims through conducting examinations under oath.
- Represented and advised various personal and commercial property insurers regarding legal issues unique to policies’ appraisal clause.
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas (Insurance and Litigation Sections)
- Dallas Bar Association
Speeches and Presentations
- "Earth, Wind and Fire: A Forensics Insider Webinar showcasing investigations from Superstorm Sandy, attorney advice on defending catastrophe claims, and how fire distresses concrete" Webinar for Nelson Architectural Engineers, Inc., Panelist, February 13, 2013
- "Insurable Interest: What About Me?" Thompson Coe's 11th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, October 25, 2012
- "Policy Conditions: It Takes Two To Tango" National PLRB Conference in Nashville, Tennessee, April 4 - 6, 2011
- "The Nitty Gritty of Property Policy Conditions" 12th Annual Windstorm Insurance Conference, January 26, 2011
- 2010 Dallas All Industry Day - "Ask the Experts" Panel Presentation, November 23, 2010
- "We Just Dropped In to See What Condition Our Conditions Were In" Thompson Coe's 9th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, May 6, 2010
- "Non-Compliance with Policy Conditions" National PLRB Conference in San Antonio, Texas, March 23 - 24, 2010
- "The Who, When, Why and How for Hiring Independent Counsel" North Texas Association of Insurance Counsel, December 4, 2009
- “Checking in on the Eight Corners Rule” Thompson Coe Annual Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, November 6, 2008
- "So You Believe it was Arson – Now What?” Thompson Coe Annual Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, November 7, 2007
- “Other Insurance Clauses and Their Impact on the Duty to Defend” Thompson Coe Annual Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, December 8, 2005
- “The New Boundaries of the Eight Corners Rule” Thompson Coe Annual Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, December 9, 2004
- “Selection of Independent Counsel” Dallas Bar Association's Tort & Insurance Practice Section, October 28, 2004
- “Overhead and Profit: When Do You Pay It?” Thompson Coe Annual Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, December 11, 2003
- Law & Politics magazine's Texas Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars list for 2006 - 2010.
- Baylor University School of Law, J.D., 2001, Order of Barristers, National Trial Competition Mock Trial Finalist and Best Overall Advocate
- University of North Texas, M.Ed., 1993
- Oklahoma State University, B.S., 1989
- All State Courts Texas, 2001
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit