Much of Tate Gorman's practice is devoted to catastrophe litigation. He has counseled and represented numerous insurance companies in liability and property insurance coverage disputes and bad faith litigation, with an emphasis on complex, multi-party cases involving high-dollar exposures. Tate has handled numerous first-party commercial property claims arising out of Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, Ike, and Dolly.
Tate also has significant experience with coverage disputes involving wrap, homeowners and builder's risk policies. His practice extends to contract, tort, products liability, professional negligence, deception trade practices and ERISA litigation.
- Favorable resolution of multiple large commercial property insurance lawsuits for carrier clients involving hurricanes Dolly and Ike.
- Represented property insurer in $2 billion subrogation action from the 9/11 terrorist attack (In re September 11 Property Damage and Business Loss Litigation, United States District Court, Southern District of New York).
- Represented mutual insurance company in matter before Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals on issue of first impression regarding insurer's business judgment in not distributing a membership credit to former insured.
- Represented property insurer in $300 million coverage litigation for property and business income loss by major general cargo port as a result of Hurricane Katrina.
- Represented property insurer in $50 million coverage litigation involving property and business income loss by major satellite television provider as a result of Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma.
- Represented property insurer in $20 million coverage litigation involving alleged theft and vandalism at high-rise building.
- Represented insurer in $500,000 coverage litigation involving alleged employee theft at scrap metal facility.
- Represented administrator of health plan in employment discrimination/ERISA action.
- Summary judgment awards on behalf of insurers in numerous liability coverage actions, including UM/UIM, life insurance and disability benefits coverage disputes, where policy holder is seeking extra-contractual damages.
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, State Bar of Texas, Insurance Section
- Member, Dallas Bar Association, Tort & Insurance Section
- Member, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Member, Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Member, DAYL Foundation
- Member, Dallas Claims Association
- Board of Directors, Children's Craniofacial Association, 2010-Present
- Board of Directors, Lake Highlands Area Improvement Association, 2010-Present
- Board of Directors, Exchange Club of Lake Highlands, 2004-Present
- President, Exchange Club of Lake Highlands, 2013-2014
- Co-Chair, Lake Highlands Oktoberfest, 2012
- Co-Chair, Lake Highlands Oktoberfest, 2011
- Former Board of Directors, St. Mary's Law Alumni Association, Dallas Chapter, 2006-2007
- Former Member, Dallas Citizens/Police Review Board, 2006
Speeches and Presentations
- 5th Annual Litigation Conference, Bankers Insurance Group, Moderator, May 20-21, 2013
- Claims Handling for Homeowners Policies in Texas, Bankers Insurance Group, CE presentation, February 26, 2013
- Update on Appraisal Issues in Texas, Thompson Coe webinar, November 13, 2012
- Texas Property Claims Following Hurricane Ike, Lexington Insurance Company, CE presentation, September 13, 2012
- Liability Coverage and Defense Overview, Bankers Insurance Group, CE presentation, August 14, 2012
- Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act, Texas Residential Construction Liability Act, Anti-Indemnity Statute, 4th Annual Litigation Conference, Bankers Insurance Group, CE presentation, May 20-22, 2012
- Texas Bad Faith, A Primer, CE Presentation, FM Global, February 2007, Plano, Texas, Presenter
- Reading and Interpreting Insurance Policies, 10th Annual Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, October 13, 2011, Dallas, Texas, Presenter
- ERISA: Overview & Strategy to Avoid Pitfalls & Headaches, 5th Annual
Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, December 8, 2005, Dallas, Texas, presenter
- Named a 2012-2013 Super Lawyer - Rising Star by Law & Politics magazine.
- St. Mary's University School of Law, J.D., 2001
- Austin College, B.A., 1998
- Texas, 2001
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas