- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D., 1997
- Louisiana Tech University, B.S., 1994, magna cum laude
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court Northern, Eastern and Southern District of Texas
700 North Pearl Street
Twenty-Fifth Floor - Plaza of the Americas
Dallas, Texas 75201
214-871-8270 direct | 214-871-8209 fax
Joni R. Sullivan
Mike Yanof represents professionals and businesses from the boardroom to the courtroom, from trials to the Texas Supreme Court. He has extensive experience representing professionals and companies ranging from doctors to lawyers, nurses to insurance agents, hospitals to law firms, managed care companies to title companies, executives to employees. His depth of experience is not only in the range of client specialties represented, but in the arena he assists them. In this regard, Mike has extensive experience advising clients in their businesses as outside general counsel, and in representing them at every level of trial, appellate and administrative proceedings. He brings a unique skill set, with the ability to be as comfortable trying cases in front of juries and judges as he is arguing cases on appeal before appellate courts. Mike has first-chair tried dozens of cases to jury verdict. He has handled dozens more on appeal, including cases of first impression before the Texas Supreme Court and Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. He has also handled dozens of cases before Texas administrative boards, including the Texas Medical Board, Texas Board of Nursing, Texas Department of Health, and Texas Board of Chiropractic Examiners.
- In Re Radmax, 720 F.3d 285 (5th Cir. 2013) (granting mandamus relief in a case of first impression before the court)
- Packard Eng'g Assocs. v. The Sally Group L.L.C., 398 S.W.3d 389 (Tex. App. - Beaumont 2013, no pet.) (case of first impression before the court)
- Zanchi v. Lane, 408 S.W.3d 373 (Tex. 2013) (case of first impression before the Court)
- Scoresby v. Santillan, 346 S.W.3d 546 (Tex. 2011) (case of first impression before the Court)
- Stockton v. Offenbach, 336 S.W.3d 610 (Tex. 2011) (case of first impression before the Court)
- Murphy v. Russell, 167 S.W.3d 835 (Tex. 2005) (case of first impression before the Court)
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of an attorney sued for legal malpractice and DTPA violations
- Obtained a plaintiff’s verdict on behalf of a corporate wellness company against another company, with the jury’s findings voiding remaining contractual obligations and awarding lost profits resulting from the breach.
- Represented a client accused of engaging in a Ponzi scheme and embezzling approximately $12.5 million from his employer.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of an obstetrician and professional association in a case involving allegations of an improper forceps assisted vaginal delivery resulting in a permanent nerve injury to the mother.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a urologist in a case involving allegations of improper bladder repair and follow-up leading to a permanent and disabling nerve injury.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a hospital and resident in a case involving allegations of improper removal of a percutaneous nephrostomy tube resulting in near-fatal hemorrhage.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a hospital and resident in a case involving allegations of failure to timely perform an angioplasty after myocardial infarction resulting in death of a patient.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of an internist in a case involving allegations of failure to diagnose bacterial pneumonia resulting in sepsis, coma and permanent injury.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of an interventional cardiologist in a case involving allegations of the negligent placement of a stent during an interventional procedure resulting in the death of the patient.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of an obstetrician in a case involving allegations of failure to property manage shoulder dystocia and delivery of a baby resulting in permanent Erb’s Palsy of the left arm.
- Tried a case on behalf of an anesthesia group involving allegations of wrongful termination and defamation by a terminated physician in the group.
- Extensive trial and appellate experience regarding first party insurance and managed care cases, including bad faith, prompt pay and ERISA.
- Serves as outside general counsel for Cardiology Consultants of Texas, a large cardiology group.
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Deacon and Sunday school teacher, Park Cities Baptist Church
- Defense Research Institute
- State Bar of Texas Appellate Section
- Texas Supreme Court Historical Society
Speeches and Presentations
- 'Recovering Medical Expenses in Personal Injury Cases,' presented at Damages in Civil Litigation Seminar, Feb. 2014
- 'Getting the Jury Charge Right, and What to do if it's not,' presented at Houston Trial Lawyers' Association, Feb. 2014
- 'You Just Thought You Knew Texas Insurance Law; The Potential Impact of the Supreme Court's Decision in Lennar v. Markel,' Thompson Coe Coverage Seminar, October, 2013
- ‘The Law of Informed Consent and Practical Implications,’ Medical Center of Lewisville Nursing Risk Management Seminar, Lewisville, Texas
- ‘Defending the Brain Damaged Baby Case,’ Texas Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, Dallas, Texas
- ‘Chronic Pain Patients,’ Texas Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, Dallas, Texas
- ‘Legal Aspects of OB/GYN,’ The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas Department of OB/GYN Risk Management Seminar, Dallas, Texas
- ‘Closing the Loop: The Importance of Documentation and Communication,’ Health Texas/Baylor Health Care System Physician Risk Management Seminar, Dallas, Texas
- ‘Recovery of Damages,’ American Academy of Legal Nurse Consultants, Dallas, Texas
- 2015-2017 Best Lawyers in Dallas, Tort Product & Medical Liability Litigation: Defense, D Magazine
- Named a Texas Rising Star by Thomson Reuters, 2004-2005