Mike Yanof has extensive experience representing clients at every level of trial, appellate and administrative proceedings. He brings a unique skill set with the ability and experience to be as comfortable trying cases in front of juries and judges as he is arguing cases on appeal before Texas appellate courts and the Supreme Court. Mike has handled dozens of appeals before Texas appellate courts, including cases of first impression throughout the state and before the Texas Supreme Court. He has also tried numerous cases involving issues including breach of contract, medical malpractice, wrongful termination, negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, and slander. Mike has also represented clients before state administrative boards, including the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners, Texas State Board of Dental Examiners, and Texas State Board of Nurse Examiners.
- Scoresby v. Santillan, __S.W.3d__, 2011 WL 2586860 (Tex. 2011) (case of first impression before the Court)
- Stockton v. Offenbach, 336 S.W.3d 610 (2011) (case of first impression before the Court)
- Murphy v. Russell, 167 S.W.3d 835 (Tex. 2005) (case of first impression before the Court)
- Obtained a plaintiff’s verdict on behalf of a corporate wellness company against another company, with the jury’s findings voiding remaining contractual obligations and awarding lost profits resulting from the breach.
- Represented a client accused of engaging in a Ponzi scheme and embezzling approximately $12.5 million from his employer.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of an obstetrician and professional association in a case involving allegations of an improper forceps assisted vaginal delivery resulting in a permanent nerve injury to the mother.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a urologist in a case involving allegations of improper bladder repair and follow-up leading to a permanent and disabling nerve injury.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a hospital and resident in a case involving allegations of improper removal of a percutaneous nephrostomy tube resulting in near-fatal hemorrhage.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of a hospital and resident in a case involving allegations of failure to timely perform an angioplasty after myocardial infarction resulting in death of a patient.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of an internist in a case involving allegations of failure to diagnose bacterial pneumonia resulting in sepsis, coma and permanent injury.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of an interventional cardiologist in a case involving allegations of the negligent placement of a stent during an interventional procedure resulting in the death of the patient.
- Obtained a defense verdict on behalf of an obstetrician in a case involving allegations of failure to property manage shoulder dystocia and delivery of a baby resulting in permanent Erb’s Palsy of the left arm.
- Tried a case on behalf of an anesthesia group involving allegations of wrongful termination and defamation by a terminated physician in the group.
- Extensive trial and appellate experience regarding first party insurance and managed care cases, including bad faith, prompt pay and ERISA.
- Serves as outside general counsel for Cardiology Consultants of Texas, a large cardiology group.
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Deacon and Sunday school teacher, Park Cities Baptist Church
Speeches and Presentations
- ‘The Law of Informed Consent and Practical Implications,’ Medical Center of Lewisville Nursing Risk Management Seminar, Lewisville, Texas
- ‘Defending the Brain Damaged Baby Case,’ Texas Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, Dallas, Texas
- ‘Chronic Pain Patients,’ Texas Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, Dallas, Texas
- ‘Legal Aspects of OB/GYN,’ The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas Department of OB/GYN Risk Management Seminar, Dallas, Texas
- ‘Closing the Loop: The Importance of Documentation and Communication,’ Health Texas/Baylor Health Care System Physician Risk Management Seminar, Dallas, Texas
- ‘Recovery of Damages,’ American Academy of Legal Nurse Consultants, Dallas, Texas
- Named a Texas Rising Star by Thomson Reuters, 2004-2005
- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D., 1997
- Louisiana Tech University, B.S., 1994, magna cum laude
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court Northern, Eastern and Southern District of Texas