Mike Golding focuses his practice on litigating complex commercial, energy, professional liability and insurance coverage matters. He has significant experience in representing domestic insurance carriers and London-based insurance syndicates in coverage disputes and bad faith litigation arising under commercial general liability, commercial property, directors and officers, energy package, errors and omissions and professional liability policies.
Mike also represents attorneys, investment advisors, corporate officers and directors, insurance brokers and agents and other professionals in professional liability matters. His experience in this area has included trials in state and federal courts, as well as appellate work before the Ohio Supreme Court and Sixth Circuit.
Mike’s commercial litigation practice involves the representation of public and private corporations in contract disputes, business torts and partnership/joint venture disputes, which adds to his understanding of the relationship between business and insurance issues.
- Defended twenty domestic and London market insurers in lawsuits filed in Texas and Louisiana seeking coverage for losses to offshore platform and wells due to Hurricane Rita.
- Resolved lawsuit against multiple domestic property carriers seeking damages in excess of $200 million arising from destruction of refinery due to Hurricane Katrina.
- Litigated contractual indemnity and product liability claims for London market companies arising out of collapse and loss of offshore oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Represented insurer in lawsuit arising from cancellation of multi-million dollar surety bond portfolio issued to bank to support low-income housing projects throughout United States.
- Secured dismissal of numerous product liability claims against major pharmaceutical company related to manufacture and distribution of childhood vaccines.
- Obtained favorable settlement for North America’s largest funeral and cemetery services company in suit alleging claims for conversion, fraud and breach of contract against payroll and benefits provider.
- Represented largest U.S. pet insurance provider in pursuing breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference and trade secret claims against former brokerage.
- Handled appeal to Supreme Court of Ohio regarding applicability and constitutionality of Certificate of Merit requirement in professional liability cases.
- Authored appellate brief in Sixth Circuit regarding availability of UM/UIM coverage under commercial automobile insurance policy.
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Member, Council on Litigation Management
- Trustee, Sydney Salem Golding Fund
- Founder, Histio Heroes Research Fund and The Histio CURE Foundation
- Director, Research & Funding, The Histio CURE Foundation
Speeches and Presentations
- Run From The Wind, Hide From The Water And Wait For The Claims: Hurricane Ike Property Litigation Update, Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update 2012, Thompson Coe Houston Seminar (April 5, 2012)
- Hands On Mock Trial, Council on Litigation Management Seminar, Mercury Insurance Company (September 8, 2011)
- One Thing Is Not Another: Defining Standards for the Duty to Defend and Indemnify, The Insurance Journal (March 23, 2011)
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1993, Associate Editor, Georgetown International Law Journal
- Bucknell University, B.A., 1990, cum laude, Economics/International Relations
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit, 2010
- United States District Court Southern District of Texas, 2010
- Texas, 2009
- United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit, 1997
- United States District Court Northern District of Ohio, 1995
- Ohio, 1993