Michael G. Patiuk is an experienced business litigator representing company defendants in lender liability, mortgage/real estate, employment, business fraud, trademark infringement, insurance, and contract disputes and litigation. Michael also counsels companies on immigration law and white collar criminal matters.
Michael also assists clients in the civil discovery process, including pre-trial investigations, discovery management, document reviews, written discovery and document productions, especially in mass tort and product liability litigation.
Michael has extensive trial and investigative experience with United States Department of Justice, Antitrust Division in Chicago, where he prosecuted companies and their executives in the dairy products and commercial kitchen equipment industries. Before joining the Justice Department, Michael served as a judicial law clerk to the Hon. Bruce M. Van Sickle, United States District Judge for the District of North Dakota.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a national mortgage lending company in a lawsuit seeking damages for fraud and rescission of over $4 million in mortgage loans.
- Obtained dismissals with prejudice in favor of national mortgage lending company in several lawsuits alleging violations of the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), and state law claims.
- Obtained an EEOC dismissal in favor of client, a health care clinic, on a charge of violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act filed by a former clinic employee.
- Settled a trademark infringement case, resulting in a permanent injunction against defendants.
- Represents a Fortune 100 company in numerous products liability cases nationwide, focusing on discovery litigation and compliance.
Professional and Community Activities
- Minnesota State Bar Association (Corporate Counsel Association, Antitrust Section, Criminal Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Criminal Justice Section)
- Member, Warren E. Burger Inn of Court
Speeches and Presentations
- DOJ Special Achievement Awards
- Assistant Attorney General Outstanding Achievement Award
- Hamline University School of Law, J.D., Hamline Law Review, Notes & Comments Editor, Dean’s List
- University of Minnesota, B.S., Economics, B. Mathematics
- Supreme Court Minnesota
- United States District Court
- United States Court of Appeals Eighth Circuit