- The University of Texas, J.D., 2013, Moot Court
- Bucerius Law School, 2012, Semester Abroad in Hamburg, Germany
- The University of Texas, B.A., 2010, Music, Plan II Honors with Departmental Honors, Phi Beta Kappa
- Texas, 2013
- United States District Court Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
Austin, Texas 78701
512-703-5049 direct | 512-708-8777 fax
Melissa Ackie is a trial attorney representing clients in Texas state courts, federal courts, and arbitrations. Her practice primarily focuses on civil litigation with an emphasis on personal injury, premises liability, products liability, deceptive trade practices, property damage/subrogation defense, and other insurance defense actions. She has a diverse practice that serves both large and small manufacturers, general and subcontractors, dealerships, property owners, property management companies, construction companies, retailers, and individuals.
During law school, Melissa served as a judicial intern for Federal Judge Melinda Harmon of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, Houston Division, and represented the University of Texas School of Law in Moot Court Competitions around the nation.
Melissa has been a certified mediator for the State of Texas since December 2011.
- Obtained a unanimous no-liability defense verdict in a property line dispute case asserted against a Better Business Bureau A+ rated fence contractor.
- Obtained multiple summary judgments for actions violating the statute of limitations.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a non-profit sued in a defamation action.
- Obtained sanctions against a Plaintiff for filing a baseless action under Texas Rule of Civil Procedure 13.
- Negotiated a favorable nominal settlement on behalf of a small business owner in a personal-injury, car-accident action wherein liability was heavily disputed.
- Negotiated favorable settlements on behalf of clients facing significant exposure.
Professional and Community Activities
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel (TADC)
- Austin Young Lawyers Association
- Austin Black Lawyers Association