- Baylor University School of Law, J.D., 1996
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.S., 1993, high honors
- Texas, 1996
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
Laura Alaniz's litigation experience provides a unique perspective in analyzing client's practices to reduce risk of claims. She regularly advises clients on compliance issues relating to employment-related laws and prevention of claims including counseling clients regarding leaves of absence, layoffs, unemployment compensation, employment handbooks and policies, and conducting employee and management training.
Ms. Alaniz's practice includes drafting employment contracts, non-disclosure agreements, and anti-competition-hiring-solicitation agreements. She also has successfully defended clients in employment cases and handled employment-related claims before local, state and federal administrative agencies. She has represented employers in all types of employment disputes including suits for wrongful termination, retaliation, harassment and discrimination, wage and hour disputes, disability accommodation, and has litigated claims of tortious interference, defamation, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
Professional and Community Activities
- HR Houston, member of the HR Ambassador Committee
- Epilepsy Foundation, Board Member
Speeches and Presentations
- Survival Guide: What Every Lawyer Needs To Know About Layoffs, Houston Bar Association Seminar, October 14, 2016
- Managing Leave: Navigating the Complexities of Overlapping Leave Obligations Under ADA, FMLA, Workers Compensation & Executive Order 13703, June 8, 2016.
- Navigating the Complexities of Overlapping Leave Obligations Under the ADA, FMLA, Workers Compensation & the September 7, 2015 Executive Order, HR in Your Neighborhood, April 7, 2016
- Navigating the Minefield: Best Practices When Terminating Employees, ACC Houston Chapter Meeting CLE, March 10 & 15, 2016
- The Trifecta--Understanding Overlapping Leave Obligations under ADA, FMLA, and Workers' Compensation, Gulf Coast Symposium, May 14 & 15, 2015
- Board Certified by Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Labor and Employment
- Texas Monthly's Texas Rising Stars, 2008-2009
Are Your Independent Contractors Truly Independent?
Fair Housing Compliance