- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1991, cum laude, Certificate of Merit, University of Michigan Writing and Advocacy Program
- Duke University, B.A., 1988, Political Science and Economics, cum laude
- California, 2008
- Illinois, 1993
- New York, 1991
- United States District Court Southern and Central Districts of California
Judy Marotti represents commercial lines insurers in matters including questions of coverage and “bad faith” with a focus on coverage issues involving complex environmental, asbestos, silica, chemical exposure, medical implant, and professional liability claims. Judy vigorously represents her carrier clients in cases throughout the country.
She frequently counsels her clients in matters of policy contract rights and obligations, good faith duties to insureds and settlement and allocation issues involving single and multi-carrier cases. Judy represents some of the largest and most sophisticated insurers in areas of liability, professional errors and omissions, bodily injury, property, umbrella and excess coverage.
- Prevailed in California trial courts on coverage claims involving environmental, toxic tort, and professional liability.
- Represented insurance carriers in several multi-million dollar coverage claims in litigation.
- Advises major carriers as to the proper allocation of asbestos and other toxic claims over multiple policy years and coverage layers including issues as to number of occurrences and all sums or pro rata allocation.
- Advises carriers as to insurance coverage for major general liability claims, including advertising injury claims.
- Represents major insurers in evaluating large construction litigation claims in Arizona, California, and Nevada.
- Represented major insurers evaluating coverage for medical malpractice claims nationwide.
- Negotiates resolutions for major carriers of multi-insurer coverage cases involving primary and excess coverage for asbestos, silica, and environmental coverage claims.
- Represented the City of Chicago to verdict in fifteen jury trials, thirteen of which resulted in defense verdicts, in cases involving premises liability, employee negligence, and professional liability.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of the City of Chicago in a multi-million dollar wrongful death action.
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, ABA 2016-present
- Member, University of Michigan Law School alumni association 1991-present
- Serves as volunteer mentor, University of Michigan Law School alumni association, 2007-present
Speeches and Presentations
- Presentation to Markel Claims, A California Perspective on Stowers Demands, June 1, 2016