John L. Ross represents both private sector businesses and public entities and their respective directors, officers and management officials in employment litigation matters throughout Texas and the United States, including, FLSA class actions, discrimination cases, Title VII, ADA, FLSA, ADEA, WARN and federal civil rights claims, workers' compensation retaliation cases, employment torts, immigration and naturalization matters, and contractual claims.
As a former Regional Attorney for the EEOC, with a Master of Laws degree in Labor & Employment Law, Board Certifications both in Labor & Employment Law and Civil Trial Law, and over 30 years trial experience, John has been described by a federal district judge as a “go to” person for management representation in labor and employment litigation.
John is approved panel counsel for numerous employment practices liability (EPLI) insurance carriers.
- Has tried dozens of cases to verdict, including:
- Two separate defense jury verdicts on behalf of a national insurance carrier on age discrimination claims brought by terminated former senior managers.
- Defense verdict for major NASA contractor on FMLA retaliation claim.
- Defense verdict for Georgia-based regional gas station/convenience store chain on pregnancy discrimination claim.
- Defense jury verdict for 700+ employee manufacturing company in worker’s compensation retaliation lawsuit.
- Defense jury verdict for prominent Fort Worth private prep school in age discrimination lawsuit brought by discharged long-time faculty member.
- Defense jury verdict for Houston-based engineering firm in FLSA overtime suit brought by discharged engineer.
- Defense verdict for large Dallas insurance brokerage on allegations of sexual harassment made against the president of the company.
- In federal race discrimination suit brought by discharged administrator against an east Texas school district where the lowest pre-trial settlement demand had been $500,000, jury only awarded $50,000.
- Defense verdict for a Texas electrical power construction company in a worker’s compensation retaliation lawsuit.
- Defense verdict in a pregnancy discrimination suit brought by a discharged employee against a South Carolina-based national commercial real estate construction, brokerage and management firm.
- Defense jury verdict for national retail shoe store chain on allegations of defamation, malicious prosecution, and intentional infliction of emotional distress brought by former employee and customer.
- Following a two-week trial, obtained defense jury verdict on behalf of large, privately held, Minnesota-based international dairy and food processing company on sex discrimination, retaliation, and intentional infliction of emotional distress allegations made by the company’s former in-house counsel.
- Obtained summary judgment for the employer in a “reverse discrimination” case which was affirmed on appeal in one of the most frequently cited Fifth Circuit opinions on the allocation of the order and burden of proof in discrimination cases after the Supreme Court’s decision in Desert Palace v. Costa -- having been cited in more than 450 subsequent cases. Keelan v. Majesco Software, Inc., 407 F. 3rd 332 (5th Cir. 2005)
- Summary judgment obtained for national commercial real estate construction, brokerage and management firm in pregnancy discrimination case brought by former employee.
- Summary judgment obtained for prominent, upscale national restaurant on claims of sexual harassment and retaliation brought by a former cocktail waitress.
- Has obtained summary judgments for several school districts and counties on a variety of discrimination, civil rights, and other employment-related claims.
- Represented a major Texas law firm against sex discrimination allegations by unsuccessful partner candidate.
- Defended publicly traded security/risk management company in FLSA representative class action overtime suit in California federal court.
- Defended national auto insurance company in FLSA representative class action overtime suit in Illinois federal court.
- Has obtained temporary restraining orders and injunctive relief on behalf of national restaurant chain in various federal courts to protect trade secrets, trade marks, and trade dress and to enforce covenants not to compete against former franchisees.
- Defended largest privately held Georgia corporation in ten-plaintiff race discrimination case, obtaining summary judgments against nearly all plaintiffs.
- Has represented dozens of cities, counties, police and fire departments, school districts and other governmental entities in civil right and discrimination cases.
- Has briefed and/or argued dozens of cased in various appellate courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court, four U.S. Courts of Appeals, the Texas Supreme Court, and four Texas Courts of Appeals.
Professional and Community Activities
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute Employment Law Section Sub-committee Chair, 1997 dedicated employment law edition of For The Defense)
- Adjunct Faculty in Trial Advocacy, Southern Methodist University Deadman Law School (1987-1990)
- Faculty Member, National Institute for Trial Advocacy (1986-1990)
- Faculty Member, Dallas Bar Association Trial Skills Course (1986-1990)
Speeches and Presentations
- Has been a speaker for CLE programs sponsored by the Texas State Bar, the University of Houston, Lorman Educational Services, Thompson-Coe Annual employment law seminars.
- Named by Law & Politics magazine's Texas Super Lawyers® - Super Lawyer, Corporate Counsel Edition for Labor and Employment for 2010
- Repeatedly named a Texas "Super Lawyer” by Law & Politics magazine for Employment & Labor
- Recipient, EEOC Organizational Performance Award from former EEOC Chairman (now Supreme Court Justice) Clarence Thomas
- “AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell.
- George Washington University, LL.M., 1982
- University of Toledo, J.D., 1976
- Central Michigan University, B.S., 1973
- Texas, 1987
- Virginia, 1982, Inactive
- District of Columbia, 1981, Inactive
- Michigan, 1976, Inactive
- United States Court of Appeals Armed Forces, 1977
- U.S. Army Court of Military Review, 1977
- United States Supreme Court, 1982
- United States Court of Appeals Eleventh Circuit, 1986
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit, 1987
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas