- University of Texas at Austin , LL.B., 1959
- Sam Houston State University, B.B.A., 1955, Alpha Chi (Scholarship)
- Texas, 1958
- United States Supreme Court, 1964
- United States District Court Northern, Eastern and Southern District of Texas, 1960
John D. Gilpin is a trial attorney with experience in a variety of civil cases, both commercial and personal injury. He has extensive experience in litigation, having tried many cases to verdict involving high exposure due to catastrophic injuries and deaths, alleged to have been caused by product failure or negligence. His main emphasis now is in professional malpractice.
In the past, he represented most American and foreign car manufacturers in products liability cases against leading plaintiffs attorneys in the state in death and catastrophic injury cases with good success ratio.
John has also represented attorneys, real estate brokers and insurance agents throughout the state and has considerable experience handling professional liability cases.
- Defense jury verdict for European car manufacturer in Southern District of Texas Federal Court against claims that vehicle was wind-sensitive and not crashworthy, causing accident that rendered Ph.D. entrepreneur a paraplegic.
- Defense verdict in Southern District of Texas Federal Court for European car manufacturer in fire death against claim of poor gas tank design.
- Defense verdict in for European car manufacturer in Harris County, Texas against claims of steering problems and crashworthiness in vehicle accident that rendered two medical students quadriplegics.
- Lead Counsel in defense of huge explosion of underground petrochemical cavern with thousands of plaintiffs and millions in damages, including deaths, injuries and property damage.
- Defense verdict in Harris County, Texas for alleged malpractice by attorney handling trial of collection case.
- Summary judgment in Harris County, Texas in alleged malpractice of attorney handling personal injury case arising from chemical plant explosion.
- Instructed verdict in United States District Court for Southern District of Texas in alleged civil rights case against Montgomery County municipality.
- Motion for Summary judgment granted in Southern US District Court for prominent attorney sued for legal malpractice for handling of medical malpractice case. Affirmed in 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Summary judgment upheld on appeal in favor of Houston attorney sued for libel and slander for comments made in media about his lawsuit against juvenile care facility.
Professional and Community Activities
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Houston Bar Foundation
- Houston Bar Association - Secretary, 1971
Speeches and Presentations
- CLE on the Design Expert in Automotive Cases; Southern Methodist University; 1984
- CLE on Ethics; University of Houston Law Center; 2008
- Various CLE and Law School presentations
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), 1985-2002
- “AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell.