John Auty’s primary litigation practice areas include commercial property catastrophic loss litigation, commercial dispute litigation, commercial property subrogation litigation, commercial and residential prperty, insurance coverage litigation and appraisal disputes, insurance bad faith litigation, and construction litigation. John has resolved insurance coverage disputes for major insurers. He has also recovered substantial funds for his clients who suffered losses from commercial property catastrophes.
Prior to being an attorney, John spent several years in marketing and business management with major organizations such as Johnson & Johnson and GTE Network Services (now Verizon). He has experience in a wide variety of industries including: telecommunications, home improvements, pharmaceutical wholesale, and consumer packaged goods.
- Recovered substantial settlements for a Fortune 500 corporation and its property insurer in a warehouse roof collapse litigation.
- Recovered substantial settlements for an ICIS Top 50 chemical company in a chemical plant fire and sprinkler failure litigation.
- Recovered substantial settlements in numerous large loss property catastrophe situations such as: office complex fire, office building flood from water main strike, hotel sewage back up, and warehouse fire.
- Investigation of a retail store elevator fire and sprinkler discharge for a major property insurer resulted in loss being found contractual responsibility of other parties reducing property claim below deductible.
- Represented client wrongfully accused of negligence and fraud in design and construction defect litigation of a newly constructed 224-bed hospital.
- Represented primary, excess, and umbrella liability carriers in complex environmental litigations involving environmental multi-site pollution source and remediation cost disputes, multi-year environmental trigger disputes, policy period trigger disputes, EIL policies, CGL policies, and defended insurers in direct action jurisdictions.
- Represented major insurers in commercial and residential property coverage disputes involving property damage, business interruption, extra expense, Texas Insurance Code violation allegations, DTPA violation allegations, and bad faith allegations.
- Represented major insurers in commercial and residential property coverage appraisal disputes.
Professional and Community Activities
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Tort and Insurance Practice Section
- Business Litigation Section
- Corporate Counsel Section
- Construction Law Section
- World Affairs Council of Dallas/Fort Worth
Speeches and Presentations
- "Appraisal Update" Thompson Coe's 11th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, October 25,
- "Responsible Third Party and Stowers Doctrine Developments" Thompson Coe's 10th Annual Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, October 13, 2011
- "Subrogation 101" for Thompson Coe's 9th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments, May 6, 2010
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, J.D., 2002
- Southern Methodist University Cox School of Business , M.B.A., 1991
- Amherst College, B.A., 1984, Political Science
- All State Courts Texas, 2002
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit