- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 2002, The Review of Litigation Associate Editor, Teaching Quizmaster
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.A., 1997, Government, with honors
- Texas, 2002
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
Austin, Texas 78701
512-703-5014 direct | 512-708-8777 fax
Jessica Mangrum’s practice focuses on civil litigation in a wide variety of areas, including construction law, professional liability, personal injury, products liability, contract disputes, claims against insurance companies, and representation of individuals, churches, and companies.
The majority of her work has been in state and federal court in the Central Texas area.
In construction matters, she has represented general contractors, subcontractors, design professionals in a number of complex, multi-party cases.
In professional liability matters, she has defended engineers, attorneys, architects, and real estate professionals.
- Defended general contractor in construction defects lawsuit by condominium owners association with allegations of water penetration and structural deficiencies. Prosecuted claims against subcontractor and supplier defendants. The case was ultimately resolved by mediation resulting in a confidential settlement agreement.
- Defended a general contractor against personal injury claims by a subcontractor, who was seriously injured in a fall at a construction site. Plaintiff sought five million dollars from the jury. A take-nothing judgment was entered after more than 50% fault was placed on Plaintiff for accident.
- Obtained a dismissal for a registered professional land surveyor in a professional negligence lawsuit.
- Defended a restaurant against premises liability claims in a slip and fall case where plaintiff alleged restaurant created dangerous condition and failed to warn or make safe. After a four day trial, the jury returned a defense verdict.
- Defended a builder in a jury trial against allegations of negligence, fraud, and breach of warranty.
- Defended a local business in a jury trial against claims brought after a serious automobile collision.
- Defended a trucking company in a jury trial against claims brought after a multiple fatality collision.
- Defended a concrete company in a jury trial against claims brought after another contractor’s employee sustained electrocution injury on the job site.
- Obtained summary judgment for property manager in premises liability case.
- Obtained summary judgment in products liability case on behalf of leasing company.
- Obtained dismissal for engineer in complex, multi-party case, with allegations of negligence and fraud.
- Won an arbitration proceeding in favor of a civil engineer in a construction case.
- Willowbrook Foods, Inc. v. Grinnell Corp., 147 S.W.3d 492 (Tex. App.—San Antonio 2004, pet. denied)
Professional and Community Activities
- City of Austin Building and Standards Commission – Vice-Chair (member of the commission 2014 to present)
- Austin Bar Association, Board of Directors, Civil Litigation Section; Council, Construction Law Section (2016-2017)
- Austin Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2014-2016
- Leadership Austin's Emerge program, 2010
- Meals on Wheels and More, 2006 to present
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas, 2004-2008
- Austin Young Lawyers Association, Board of Directors, 2009-2013
- University of Texas Law School, Advocacy Program - Fall Litigation Institute - Instructor, 2009 & 2010
- Austin Bar Association's Legal Build Committee - fundraising for Habitat for Humanity home, 2009- Committee member, 2011- Committee Co-Chair, 2013- Volunteer Coordinator for Build Days
- Member of the Lloyd Lochridge American Inn of Court
Speeches and Presentations
- History & Use of the Freedom of Information Act & Open Records Act (TX) in Defending & Investigating Claims, Thompson Coe Webinar, August 11, 2015
- Civil Engineering Liability, August 13, 2014, Legal Issues for Texas Civil Engineers Seminar
- Negotiation Strategies – September 14, 2011, Mercury Insurance Company. (with Lori Erwin)
- Legal Writing from a Litigator's Perspective - March 4, 2013, Advanced Legal Writing Class at UT Law School, (guest lecture for Professor Wayne Schiess)
- 2015 Outstanding Alumnus Award from the Austin Young Lawyers Association
- Texas Bar Foundation - Life Fellow, 2013
- College of the State Bar of Texas, 2013
- Named a 2010, 2011, 2012 Super Lawyer – Rising Star by Law & Politics magazine.
- Leadership Austin Essential Class of 2013
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow – 2011
- "AV" Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell