Jason Yacuk maintains an active litigation and coverage practice related to transportation, construction/construction defects, environmental and toxic claims, products liability, premises liability, insurance questions and professional liability.
Jason represents individuals and companies by litigating tort claims in a variety of different industries. He handles claims involving the construction and operation of buildings, plants, and industrial facilities. Jason maintains an active practice relating to trucking and transportation litigation, including claims asserted under the Texas Dram Shop Act, Jones Act claims, FELA / railroad claims, and claims associated with the transportation of cargo. He also handles mass tort litigation arising from toxic exposures, environmental claims, and toxicant remediation. Jason handles both first-party and third-party claims, including bad faith and professional liability. He is a frequent speaker on tort and insurance related topics.
- Defended premises liability claims against an apartment complex where it was alleged a sexual assault occurred.
- Defended a construction company against claims of bodily injuries that allegedly occurred when a crane collapsed while constructing an air traffic control tower.
- Defended a local nightclub against claims of negligence for an assault and homicide that occurred on its premises.
- Defended a construction company in a case involving three fatalities that occurred during a trench collapse, and pursued claims on behalf of the construction company for contractual indemnity and additional insurance coverage from other responsible parties.
- Represented a local gym for bodily injuries allegedly sustained when a piece of equipment malfunctioned.
- Defended a chemical company against claims of bodily injuries and neurological abnormalities allegedly caused from exposures to chemicals, paints, and solvents.
- Defended a chemical company from claims of bodily injury, including the development of myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) allegedly caused by exposure to solvents and chemicals used in a printing and manufacturing facility.
- Defended a ceramics manufacturer against products liability claims for bodily injuries that were allegedly caused by exposure to “mixed” dust, including silica and asbestos.
- Defended a distributor of latex products in bodily injury litigation, and litigated contractual indemnity and additional insured coverage issues after the conclusion of the underlying litigation.
Professional and Community Activities
- State Bar of Texas (Insurance Law Section)
- Defense Research Institute, member of the insurance law, toxic torts and environmental law, and construction law committees
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Phi Delta Phi International Legal Fraternity
Speeches and Presentations
- Tort and Legislative Update: Recent Developments in Texas Tort Law, Fifth Annual Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update, Spring 2012
- 2011 Tort and Legislative Update, Fourth Annual Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update, Spring 2011
- Tort Law Update: Recent Developments in Texas Tort Law, Third Annual Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update, Spring 2010
- 5 Things to Know about Risk Shifting Provisions in Contractor Agreements, American Bar Association, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Website Article, Spring 2009
- Duty to Defend, Including Reservation of Rights, Denial of Coverage, and Declaratory Judgments (speaker and co-author), Advanced Insurance and Tort Claims Seminar, University of Houston Law Foundation, Summer 2009
- Stowers Today: Settlement Demands and Settlement Responses - Multiple Layers, Crossovers, Etc., Advanced Personal Injury Seminar, University of Houston Law Foundation, 2008
- “Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire” Misrepresentations and their Effects on the Insurer/Insured Relationship, Insurance Seminar, Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons, L.L.P., November 2007
- Settlement Demands, and Settlement Responses - Including the Impact of Frank’s Casing, Advanced Insurance and Tort Claims Seminar, University of Houston Law Foundation, 2007
- Not So Easy a "Caveman" Can Do It: An Insurer's Duties Under Stowers and Related Statutes, (co-author), Texas Insurance Law Update, January 2007
- South Texas College of Law, J.D., 2000, Phi Delta Phi, Langdell Scholar
- University of Houston, B.S., 1997, Psychology, cum laude, Psi Chi
- Texas, 2000
- United States District Court Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas