Janis Detloff’s practice covers most phases of the production side of business and manufacturing. She has handled products liability cases in field and industry settings, including drilling blowouts, pipeline explosions, crane accidents, ship collisions, foundation failures, chemical exposures, industrial fires, and refinery injuries. She has also handled purely commercial disputes, such as trade secret and indemnity issues, including insurance coverage disputes that typically involve millions of dollars in claims. Janis’ clients include manufacturers, distributors, and retailers of chemicals, equipment and machinery as well as insurance companies. She also handles many of her clients’ Texas employment and environmental problems.
Janis is a former petroleum geologist with Amoco Production Company, Monsanto Company, and Amerada Hess Corporation. During those years, Janis was involved in wildcat, appraisal, and exploitation drilling for oil and gas in Texas, the Gulf of Mexico, offshore Western Africa, Northern Europe, and the North Sea.
- Represented medical supply distributor in indemnity suit and recouped all expenses from the manufacturer.
- Represented construction company in employment contract dispute and obtained reimbursement for breach.
- Represented oil and gas drilling company in 1996 Dimebox, Texas explosion and obtained favorable settlement for operator by proving co-defendants’ equipment failure.
- Represented insurance company at trial of declaratory judgment action and obtained take-nothing judgment against insured industrial dry cleaners under qualified pollution exclusion by proving negligent contamination of Uvalde aquifer.
- Represented local bank at trial of lender liability suit and secured take-nothing judgment against accountholder by proving manipulation of accounts.
- Represented chemical solvent manufacturer against claims by salon workers and secured dismissal by proving product misuse.
- Represented casino owner in contract dispute and secured dismissal of claims by proving contract was forged.
- Represented drilling contractor at arbitration of soil contamination claims and obtained take-nothing judgment by proving pre-existing contamination.
Professional and Community Activities
- Dress for Success, Houston Chapter (2008-present)
Speeches and Presentations
- June 2008 “The Duty to Defend, Including Reservation of Rights, Denial of Coverage, and Declaratory Judgment Actions” at the University of Houston Law Center CLE Advanced Insurance and Tort Claims seminars in Houston and Dallas.
- November 2007 “Understanding the Basics of Product Liability Law” at a seminar offered by HalfMoon, Texas Product Liability Law for Engineers: Understanding and Reducing Risk, Houston Texas.
- “AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 1990, Order of the Barons’ Outstanding Graduate
- Rice University, M.A., 1981, Geology
- Baylor University, B.S., 1977, Geology, Mortar Board
- Texas, 1990
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit