Jamie R. Carsey’s practice focuses primarily on civil litigation and the direct representation of personal and commercial lines insurance carriers in coverage disputes involving breach of contract and bad faith allegations. She represents clients in the areas of product liability, personal injury, and construction defects.
Jamie's practice also includes catastrophic commercial property claims in the Texas Gulf Region and surrounding areas.
- Obtained summary judgment for an insurance carrier in declaratory judgment action involving insurance coverage under an MCS-90 Endorsement. Armstrong v. United States Fire Ins. Co., 606 F.Supp.2d 794, (E.D. Tenn. 2009).
- Obtained summary judgment for an insurance carrier in declaratory judgment action involving the application of a pollution exclusion.
Professional and Community Activities
- American Bar Association- Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Co-Chair on Members and Commercial General Liability Subcommittees; Vice-Chair of 2014 Annual Insurance Coverage Seminar
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar College
- Houston Bar Association
- Habitat for Humanity
- Houston Volunteer Lawyer Program
- Worklife Institute-Volunteer for Veterans Program
- Appraisals, Breach of Contract and Bad Faith: Is There a Connection?, "Insurance Journal" Texas/South Central edition, February 1, 2013
Speeches and Presentations
- The Anatomy of a Declaratory Judgment Action, Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update, March 28, 2013
- Lights, Camera, Action! Preparing For and Defending Carrier Depositions, Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update, April 5, 2012
- Status of Carrier v. Carrier Post Mid-Continent, Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update, April 5, 2012
- Additional Insured Issues, 2011 UT Insurance Law Institute
- Preparing For and Defending Carrier Depositions, South Texas College of Law 16th Annual Texas Insurance Law Symposium
- What Do You Really Need and How To Get It? A Practical Discussion About Collecting Key Evidence In Coverage Cases, 2012 ABA Insurance Law Seminar
- Part II: Stanford Coverage Litigation The Final Chapter of a High-Stakes Battle Over Payment Of Millions Of Dollars In Attorneys’ Fees, Section of Litigation American Bar Association Coverage, Vol. 21, No. 4, July/August 2011
- Putting the 'Coverage Case' Cart Before the 'Liability Case' Horse, 2011 Texas Bar 8th Annual Insurance Law Course
- Practical Solutions to Recovering Defense Costs Under Claims-Made Policies, 2011 South Texas College of Law 15th Annual Texas Insurance Law Symposium
- Location, Location, Location: Placement of Terms Can Really Matter, ABA Section of Litigation/Insurance Coverage
- Pay Me Now: Strategies to Promote and Resist Payment of Defense Costs Under Claims Made Policies, 2010 University of Texas Insurance Law Institute, 2011 ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Seminar
- Deconstructing Stanford: Practical Solutions to Recovering Defense Costs Under Claims Made Policies, 2011 South Texas College of Law 15th Annual Texas Insurance Law Symposium
- Lyin', Cheatin' & Stealin': Misrepresentation, Fraud & Bad Faith, Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update, 2011, 2013
- Changing the Rules of the Game: Redefining the Duty to Defend and the Duty to Indemnify, Texas Insurance and Tort Law Update 2010, Thompson Coe Houston Seminar
- Presented on Is Rescission the New DJ?, ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Seminar 2010
- Court Refuses Extrensic Evidence: Pine Oak Builders v. Great American Lloyds, 2009
- Presented on Reserving Rights and Denying Coverage in 2008, for the Thompson Coe Texas Insurance Coverage and Tort Law Update
- Presented on How to Be Effective Defense Counsel In Light of Recent Insurance Coverage Decisions in 2008, for Texas Association of Defense Counsel Summer Seminar
- Presented on Insurance Coverage under Different Policies in 2006, 2007, 2008, for University of Houston Law Center Continuing Legal Education
- Presented on What Do You Know about Coverage? in 2007, for Thompson Coe Insurance Law Seminar and University of Texas 12th Annual Insurance Law Institute
- Presented on Conflicts and the Tripartite Relationship in 2006, for Thompson Coe Insurance Law Seminar; in 2008 and 2009, for the Thompson Coe Insurance Coverage and Tort Law Update; and in 2009 for the ABA’s Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Seminar, and in 2009 for the University of Texas Insurance Coverage Seminar
- Presented on Commercial and Institutional Policies: The Key Provisions in June, 2006, for University of Houston Law Center Continuing Legal Education
- Court Broadens Coverage for Sexual Molestation, 2005
- Presented on Extra Contractual Damages: What Are They and How Do You Count Them? in 2005, for Thompson Coe Insurance Law Seminar
- Presented on Insurance Law in the Oil and Gas Business in 2005, for University of Houston Law Center Continuing Legal Education
- Presented on The Stuntman Isn’t the only One Take Risks! in February, 2005, for Texas Accountants and Lawyers for the Arts
- Twists and Turns of the Offer and Settlement Rule, 2005.
- Named a 2010-2013 Super Lawyer - Rising Star by Law & Politics magazine.
- Winner of 2013 ABA ICLC "Idol" Voir Dire Competition
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 2004
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.A., 2001, Government and Sociology
- Texas, 2004
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas