- Texas Tech University School of Law, J.D., 1985
- United States Military Academy, B.S., 1977
- Texas, 1985
- United States District Court Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court Western District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
700 North Pearl Street
Twenty-Fifth Floor - Plaza of the Americas
Dallas, Texas 75201
214-871-8267 direct | 214-871-8209 fax
Jim Sowder represents financial institutions, insurance companies, business entities, property owners' associations, association board members, and individuals in a variety of commercial matters, including litigation, arbitration, and mediation in contract disputes, contract enforcement, class actions, professional liability claims against engineers, business torts, non-compete agreements, creditor’s rights, insurance regulation, lender liability, and bank litigation.
Jim also has acted as coordinating counsel for insurance companies in class actions involving regulation and pricing disputes, and coordinating counsel relating to professional liability claims against engineers involving catastrophic losses and hurricane litigation.
Jim has represented engineers and others relating to claims arising from hurricanes Katrina and Ike.
- Defended numerous claims against property owners' associations and board members regarding claims involving board governance, enforcement of deed restrictions, challenges to lien foreclosures, architectural control committee decisions, and counter clams in assessment disputes.
- Represented multiple insurance carriers in multi-state class actions alleging RICO, fraud, and violations of state insurance laws regarding pricing of liability policies.
- Secured favorable settlement for credit union against vendor where alleged damages were in excess of $1 million.
- Obtained defense verdict for insurance company to verdict where plaintiff sought class certification and damages and attorney’s fees in excess of $2 million.
- Secured judgment through bench trial against business broker for commingling of funds and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Secured favorable settlement for subcontractor in lawsuit where lien claim exceeded $1 million.
- Obtained jury verdict for engineering company where plaintiff alleged conspiracy damages in excess of $1 million in first party insurance lawsuit.
- Defended insurance rating agency at trial asserting negligence, gross negligence, and breach of contract claims where alleged damages exceeded $800,000.
- Defended charter schools in arbitration where investor sought significant damages.
- Obtained jury verdict where client sued former attorneys and law firm for malpractice relating to representation in partnership dissolution.
- Prosecuted and defended non-compete clauses under employment agreement.
- Obtained verdict on behalf of data analysis vendor where plaintiff sought in excess of $2 million.
Professional and Community Activities
- Defense Research Institute
- Texas Bar Association
- Dallas Bar Association
- United States Army, 5 years - Captain
Speeches and Presentations
- Discovery Issues Affecting Forensic Engineering, HAAG Engineering
- Mechanics and Materialman’s Liens in Texas, HAAG Engineering
- Law & Politics magazine's Texas Super Lawyers® - Super Lawyer for Business Litigation– 2011-2014
- “AV” Peer Review Rated by Martindale Hubbell