- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 2004
- Texas A&M University, B.S., 2000, Chemistry
- Supreme Court Texas, 2004
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States District Court Western District of Oklahoma
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
700 North Pearl Street
Twenty-Fifth Floor - Plaza of the Americas
Dallas, Texas 75201
214-871-8263 direct | 214-871-8209 fax
Eric has spent his career defending insurers and pursuing their subrogation interests. His insurance coverage and litigation experience includes commercial property insurance, builder’s risk, commercial general and auto liability, homeowners, claims-made, professional liability (E&O), employer’s liability, and excess and umbrella liability. He represents liability and property insurers in matters involving coverage, business interruption, priority and allocation, subrogation, Insurance Code and DTPA violations, and bad faith. Eric achieves favorable results by leveraging factual and legal defenses early in the case, while developing the right relationships with clients, experts, opposing counsel, judges and mediators.
Subrogation and loss recovery are one of Eric’s favorite pursuits as a lawyer. A chemistry major in college, Eric is adept at probing the technical nuances of a property loss with opposing experts and working with his own experts to develop the case. He has multiple seven-figure recoveries for his insurance carrier clients and their insureds, and he has won subrogation cases at all stages: summary judgment, jury trial verdict, and on appeal. His loss recovery experience includes an oil well blowout in the Texas panhandle, a structural collapse in Eastern Europe, and prolonged damage to a luxury residential structure built on a central Texas cliff.
Eric is also experienced at navigating the complexities of trans-border disputes, including currency exchange issues, evidentiary competence, language complications, and cultural awareness. He speaks and writes Spanish fluently and has represented one of the largest companies in Latin America.
Eric is the current Chair of the Dallas Bar Association’s Tort & Insurance Practice Section. He has been named a Texas Super Lawyer – Rising Star every year since 2012. He also maintains prominent roles in the Defense Research Institute (DRI) Insurance Law Committee, including serving as its current Membership Chair.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for Builder’s Risk insurer on claim by fracking sand manufacturer for property damage, delay and business interruption damages arising out of industrial equipment damaged while en route from Canada.
- Represented a world-leading concrete producer and its property insurer in a subrogation action against a structural engineering firm.
- Won full summary judgment for commercial property insurer on claims for alleged hail damage to condominium complex.
- Negotiated favorable settlements for commercial property and homeowners insurers on wind and hail claims involving bad faith allegations.
- Won full summary judgment for CGL carrier seeking contribution from co-insurer for defense costs paid on behalf of mutual insured.
- Secured Fifth Circuit affirmation of money judgment in subrogation action against CGL carrier involving underlying settlement allocation and the applicability of defendant carrier's continuous-and-progressive-damage exclusion and subsidence exclusion.
- Won full summary judgment for drilling contractor and its liability insurers in subrogation action against oil-and-gas well operator for contractual indemnity.
- Negotiated favorable settlement for CGL carrier in third-party suit brought by named insured’s consultant asserting bad faith, Texas Insurance Code and Deceptive Trade Practices Act violations.
- Won jury verdict and judgment for CGL carrier in subrogation action against subsequent insurer of mutual insured to recover settlement payment and defense costs arising out of underlying construction-defect lawsuit.
- Represented primary and umbrella carrier in multiple construction-defect lawsuits involving allocation and trigger of several policy periods, carriers and layers of coverage.
Professional and Community Activities
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) Insurance Law Committee
- Membership Chair (2016 – present)
- Steering Committee (2014 – present)
- Chair, Construction Law Group (2014 – 2016)
- Dallas Bar Association Tort & Insurance Practice Section
- Chair (2016)
- Director (2009 – present)
Speeches and Presentations
- "Professional Liability Risks and Coverage Issues in the Construction Industry," Thompson Coe's 14th Annual Texas Insurance Law Update (Dallas; October 16, 2015)
- "A Survey of Professional Liability Risks and Coverage Issues in the Construction Industry,” DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute (Chicago; March 27, 2015)
- "Texas Liability Insurance Law Overview" In-house client seminar and webinar (New York; January 10, 2013)
- "The Contractual Liability Exclusion - How Broad Is It?" Thompson Coe's 10th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments (Dallas; October 13, 2011)
- "Payback - The Nuts & Bolts of the Allocation Case," Thompson Coe's 9th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments (Dallas; May 6, 2010)
- "Insurability of Punitive Damages,” Thompson Coe's 8th Seminar on Texas Insurance Law Developments (Dallas; November 6, 2008)
- Named a 2012-2016 Super Lawyer - Rising Star by Law & Politics magazine