Elaine Lenahan devotes her practice exclusively to the defense of actions against attorneys, insurance agents, real estate brokers, financial advisors and residential home inspectors. She draws on her litigation experience as well as her experience as a former legal malpractice claims attorney with a national insurance company to develop and implement creative and efficient resolutions on behalf of her clients.
Elaine’s prior service on the District 6A Grievance Committee for the State of Texas provides her another avenue of experience with which she can assist her clients in the legal malpractice arena.
- Defended law firm in multi-day arbitration arising out of claims for legal malpractice, deceptive trade practices and breach of fiduciary duty. Obtained complete defense award, including award of clients' counterclaims, attorneys fees incurred in defense of claims as well as pursuit of counterclaims as well as administrative fees and expenses.
- Obtained summary judgment on all claims against appraisal company and appraisers arising out of a multi-party real estate transaction.
- Defense verdict in multi-week legal malpractice jury trial against family law attorney and law firm arising out of divorce action. Jury found no negligence and no breach of fiduciary duty.
- Obtained dismissal of legal malpractice claims against attorney-defendants and obtained judgment in favor of attorneys on their suit for outstanding fees.
- Obtained summary judgment in a legal malpractice case on behalf of an immigration law attorney as well as award of court costs.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of mid-size law firm in multi-party complex commercial litigation case.
- Negotiated resolution on behalf of title company fee attorney resulting from alleged error in failing to confirm satisfaction of lien priority issues.
- Special Appearance awarded on behalf of non-resident attorney to dismiss malpractice claims filed in Texas court.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of inspection company and obtained judgment for counterclaim for attorneys fees and costs.
Professional and Community Activities
- 2011-ABA Standing Committee on Lawyer's Professional Liability
- 2002-2008; Member, District 6A Grievance Committee, State Bar of Texas
- 2007-2009, Member, Dallas Bar Association, Legal Ethics Committee
- 2008-Defense Research Institute; Professional Liability Section Committee
- 2008-American Bar Association; Professional Liability Litigation Committee
- Dallas Bar Association Member
- Dallas Asian-American Bar Association Member
Speeches and Presentations
- February 11, 2013, Panelist: Work and Life Balance; Presented at the SMU Law School/Women in Law Group Luncheon
- Moderator, Legal Malpractice Case Law Developments, Spring 2012 ABA Legal Malpractice Conference, New York City
- The Emotions of a Legal Malpractice Case, Attorney Protective Ally Newsletter, December 2010
- A Practitioner's Guide to Avoiding E-Discovery Malpractice Claims, One Beacon Lawyers' Professional Liability Risk Management Conference, June 2009
- Conflicts of Interest, Avoiding Legal Malpractice Claims and other Risk Management Topics, Multiple law firms internal risk management seminars.
- Waiting for the Other Shoe to Drop: How to Survive a Legal Malpractice Claim, Law Office Management Seminar, State Bar of Texas, 2005
- The Professionalism Enhancement Panel: What It Is And How It Helps, Legal Ethics Seminar, Dallas County Criminal Defense Bar, 2004
- Named a 2010 Super Lawyer - Rising Star by Law & Politics magazine.
- Named a 2009 Super Lawyer - Rising Star by Law & Politics magazine.
- Named a 2008 Super Lawyer - Rising Star by Law & Politics magazine.
- Southern Methodist University, J.D., 1998
- University of Texas at Austin , B.S., 1994, Radio, Television and Film, with honors
- Texas, 1998
- United States District Court Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court Eastern District of Texas