David D. Knoll’s experience includes the representation of clients in the insurance industry, and covers a wide range of corporate and regulatory matters, including mergers and acquisitions, de-mutualizations, asset acquisitions and sale through bulk reinsurance and loss portfolio transfer transactions, debt and equity financing, including pooled surplus note offerings, and intercompany transactions in insurance holding company systems. He has served as both in-house general and as outside counsel for numerous insurers and their insurance holding companies.
David also completed a basic course on mediation, and was certified in 2006 as an insurance/reinsurance arbitrator by ARIAS-US, the principal reinsurance arbitration organization in the United States serving the insurance industry. He has also been honored for the past seven consecutive years by Best Lawyers in America® in the field of insurance law.
- Represented a major NYSE holding company in the sale of its life insurance division in a complex reinsurance transaction valued at over $150 million.
- Represented a major NYSE holding company in the acquisition of a Pennsylvania life insurance company, and redomestication of the Company to Oklahoma.
- Represented a Dallas multi-state life insurance agency in the acquisition of a Texas life Insurance company.
- Represented a Tulsa-based insurance holding company in the acquisition of a life insurance company based in Kansas.
- Represented mutual holding company in conversion into a stock company by means of a merger with its subsidiary insurer.
- Represented the owner of a Louisiana-based pre-need insurance company in the sale of its business to a Wisconsin insurer through assumption reinsurance transactions.
- Represented the surety company affiliate of a NYSE property and casualty insurer in the placement of two pooled trust preferred securities offerings.
- Completed the de-mutualization of the Manhattan Life Insurance Company in New York.
- Represented a California based NYSE managed care corporation in the acquisition of a life insurance company.
- Completed the purchase and sale of over 100 blocks of business on behalf of several clients through bulk reinsurance and loss portfolio transfer transactions, having a total value in excess of $1.0 billion.
- Represented both life and surety companies in subordinated debt and surplus notes in pooled offerings totaling over $60 million.
- Assisted clients in the organization of new insurers and holding companies.
- Represented Texas insurance group in the acquisition of Arizona life insurer by means of a statutory merger with its Texas life insurance subsidiary.
Professional and Community Activities
- Federation of Regulatory Counsel- President, Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer for 2011 (Member of Board of Directors since 2007)
- ARIAS-US certified insurance/reinsurance arbitrator (1986)
- Member, Texas Association of Life & Health Insurers
- Member, Association of Life Insurance Counsel
- Member, Houston Symphony Chorus (1984-2007); Chorus Austin, 2007-present.
- U.S. Army Judge Advocate General's Corps, 1969-72
- Formed corporate umbrella organization for Bastrop Community Chorus & Orchestra, Inc., and obtained its 501(c)(3) designation from IRS; serves on its Board of Directors.
Speeches and Presentations
- Nominated by peers to The Best Lawyers in America® for 2006 - 2013 in the field of Insurance Law. (Copyright 2012 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC)
- Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington, D.C., Fellowship in Forensic Medicine, 1970
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D., 1968, Honor Board
- Gannon University, B.A., 1965, English, Gold Medal of Honor for Scholarship, Excellence and Achievement; President, Blue Key Honor Fraternity
- Pennsylvania, 1968
- District of Columbia, 1970
- Texas, 1976