- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1998, studied abroad in Mexico and England
- University of Richmond, B.A., 1993, English and Government, cum laude
- Texas, 1998
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
- New York, 2013
Austin, Texas 78701
512-703-5094 direct | 512-708-8777 fax
Darrell practices civil trial law with an emphasis on personal injury and wrongful death claims, fine art insurance litigation, products liability, premises liability, dram shop cases and insurance bad faith actions. His background also includes toxic tort litigation, probate matters, civil rights actions and commercial litigation.
Darrell has represented large insurance companies and Fortune 100 corporations as well as small businesses and individuals throughout the state and federal courts of Texas and the Southwest. He has litigated cases involving mechanical bulls, television preachers, roller coasters, free speech, internet dating websites, sexually explicit text messages, engagement rings, strip clubs, barbeque joints, exercise equipment, Christmas tree lights, Ferrari sports cars, Harley-Davidsons, pit bulls, horse-drawn carriages, diet drugs, saber tooth tiger fossils, natural disasters, forest fires, hurricanes, the Texas A&M bonfire, 1980s synth-pop bands, priceless fine art, worthless neon artwork and many other interesting matters.
- Tried only lawsuits to reach trial involving claims resulting from Bastrop wildfire, the largest wildfire in Texas history.
- Resolved over 500 residential and commercial claims resulting from Hurricanes Katrina, Rita, Dolly and Ike on Gulf Coast on behalf of large and small insurance carriers.
- Worked as plaintiff attorney for two years after law school including representation of terminated assistant police chiefs in civil rights lawsuits against city and representation of victims of Texas A&M bonfire collapse.
- Secured motion for summary judgment in federal district court and affirmation by circuit court of appeals in First Amendment case in which claimant alleged that public library’s refusal to engrave a sidewalk brick with inflammatory comments about library personnel during a fundraising drive violated free speech rights.
- Represent various local bars, restaurants, music promoters, and artists in lawsuits involving alcohol-related incidents, including several high-profile cases arising from events during South By Southwest and Austin City Limits Music Festival.
- Tried lawsuits involving underinsured motorist claims under personal and commercial auto policies, including one case in which a Tarrant County jury awarded substantially less than amount of damages conceded by defendant.
- Tried lawsuits involving claims for mold damage to commercial and residential properties during “mold crisis.”
- Represented nationally televised evangelist and ministry against personal injury claim allegedly incurred during rush to stage by parishioner attending crusade.
- Resolved dram shop cases against various gentlemen’s clubs in Dallas/Fort Worth area during time when certain local municipalities sought to ban such establishments.
- Represented American manufacturer of roller coasters against personal injury claim allegedly incurred on ride at Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio.
- Represented individual who accidentally started largest forest fire in Utah history (the Mustang Fire) against claim by federal government to recover fire suppression costs and resolved lawsuit for less than 3 percent of total fire suppression costs.
Professional and Community Activities
- New York State Bar Association
- Austin Bar Association
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- Meals on Wheels, volunteer
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas, mentor
- Texas Accountants and Lawyers for the Arts, volunteer
Speeches and Presentations
- Litigation Update, Thompson Coe Seminar, October 9, 2014, presenter and host
- Fine Art Insurance Issues: A Selected Case Law Survey (Update), Thompson Coe Webinar, January 23, 2013
- Fine Art Insurance Issues: A Selected Case Law Survey, Texas Accountants and Lawyers for the Arts, Spring 2012
- Art Smart: Knowing and Protecting the Value of Your Collection, Dallas Art Fair, April 13, 2012, presenter