- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., 2003, Associate Editor Houston Journal of International Law
- Stephen F. Austin State University, B.A., 1989
- Texas, 2003
- United States District Court Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
Christene Wood has extensive experience with first and third-party defense and litigation. Ms. Wood represents domestic and surplus lines insurers with an extensive representation of Syndicates in the London market. Her experience includes the defense of insurers, third party administrators, managing agents, and adjusters in first party contractual and extra-contractual disputes arising from disputes by commercial and personal lines insureds. Her practice also includes the defense of liability and catastrophe claims, as well as providing her clients with assistance in coverage matters and professional liability claims. She has obtained numerous summary judgments, favorable settlements, and dismissals of lawsuits in response to dispositive motions.
- Moon v. State, 410 S.W. 3d 366 (Tex.App.-Houston [1st Dist] 2013, pet. granted).
- Lundstrom v. United Servs. Auto Ass'n–CIC, 192 S.W.3d 78 (Tex.App.-Houston [14th Dist.] 2006, pet. denied).
- Testified to the Texas Senate Criminal Justice Committee on SB 888 regarding revising the Family Code to allow a pre-trial review of an adult transfer order.
- Obtained a summary judgment in Jefferson County, Texas, dismissing all claims against an independent adjuster and adjusting firm in a case involving the applicability of the vacancy exclusion in a commercial property policy stemming from a copper theft claim. - May 2014
- Obtained summary judgment for an insurance carrier based on the insured plaintiffs' failure to cooperate with the investigation of the claim.
- Obtained summary judgment for an insurance carrier stemming from a denial of the claim due to a lack of covered loss under the policy.
- Obtained a summary judgment for an insurance carrier based on a limitations defense.
- Obtained a summary judgment on behalf of an adjusting company and individual adjuster in a lawsuit stemming from Hurricane Ike where the record showed no covered damages owed to the insured plaintiff.
- Obtained a favorable settlement of less than half an appraisal award where coverage was an issue.
- Obtained a summary judgment for an insurance carrier where the plaintiff failed to provide timely notice of the loss to the carrier.
- Obtained a favorable settlement in a premises liability claim based on showing no negligence on behalf of the client.
- Obtained order dismissing fraud claims based on application of the economic loss rule.
- Obtained a summary judgment for an insurance agent in a professional liability lawsuit.
- Handled multiple first party claims and lawsuits through settlement or disposition.
- Secured preferential rulings on numerous Motions for Summary Judgment involving personal injury, premises liability and coverage disputes.
Professional and Community Activities
- Houston Bar Association - Juvenile Consequences Program Committee, Co-Chair (2011-2013)
- Crossroads, mentor to youth held in detention awaiting disposition of criminal charges
- Member of the Texas State Bar Pro Bono College (2013)
Speeches and Presentations
- "The State of Texas v. Cameron Moon: Ethical Issues in Assessing Whether Youth Should be Certified", 29th Annual Juvenile Law Conference, February 22, 2016.
- "Document Preservation", 2014 Trucking and Large Loss Update for McClelland and Hine, Inc.
- "The Claim File as Used in Litigation”—a presentation to a small group of independent adjusters in March 2010
- Invited to speak to the Texas House Subcommittee on Criminal Jurisprudence, March 2014