Arfeo Yllana’s practice focuses primarily on first-party insurance defense and construction defects lawsuits. His first-party experience concentrates on claims related to bad faith, breach of contract and Insurance Code violations. Arfeo also defends third-party lawsuits involving personal injury, commercial, DTPA, premises liability and workers' compensation non-subscriber litigation.
As part of his first-party practice, Arfeo has defended numerous insurance providers against bad faith claims, including several hundred hurricane related lawsuits. Arfeo has also counseled clients regarding the appropriate use of alternative dispute resolution methods such as appraisal.
- Mediated Hurricane Ike property lawsuit.
- Deposed numerous first party, Hurricane Ike and personal injury plaintiffs.
- Inspected over 100 properties to determine scope and value of covered losses.
- Protected confidential and proprietary corporate documents and information from invasive institutional discovery.
- Secured preferential rulings on numerous Motions for Summary Judgment involving personal injury, premises liability and coverage disputes.
- Mediated high-exposure construction litigation matter to settlement.
- Mediated over 30 auto/truck related personal injury matters to settlement.
- Obtained numerous preferential rulings regarding expert designation.
- Obtained no-negligence verdict in property litigation bench trial.
- Conducted numerous minor settlement hearings.
- Engaged in electronic discovery involving hundreds of thousands of documents pertaining to corporate trademark litigation.
Professional and Community Activities
- Houston Young Lawyer’s Association
- Texas Young Lawyer’s Association
- Filipino Young Professionals of Houston
Speeches and Presentations
- Hide from the Wind, Run from the Water and Wait for the Claims: A Property Damage Litigation Update, Insurance and Tort Law Update 2012
- SMU Dedman School of Law, J.D., 2006
- University of Texas, B.A., Business Administration Minor in Finance
- Texas, 2007
- United States District Court Northern District of Texas