- St. Mary's University School of Law, J.D., 2007, cum laude, Articles Editor, St. Mary's Law Journal, Phi Delta Phi, Clerkship, Hon. George C. Hanks, Jr., First Court of Appeals of Texas, Internship, Hon. Emilio M. Garza, United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Texas State University, B.S.A.S., 2004, summa cum laude
Houston, Texas 77056
713-403-8205 direct | 713-403-8299 fax
Andrew L. Johnson represents individuals and companies in a variety of matters, including appellate, professional-liability, premises-liability, and general casualty. His clientele includes attorneys and law firms, insurance brokers, large and small commercial entities, management companies, staffing agencies, real estate agents, and financial-services providers. He is Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and supports other firm attorneys with his appellate expertise.
Andrew handles matters around Texas state courts and in federal court, bankruptcy court, arbitrations, and other proceedings, such as before FINRA and the Office of the Chief Disciplinary Counsel of the State Bar of Texas. He has substantial experience drafting appellate briefs, original proceedings, summary-judgment motions, motions to dismiss, post-arbitration motions, and expert-related motions.
Before Thompson Coe, Andrew worked as a staff attorney at the Fourteenth Court of Appeals of Texas. While at the court, he wrote well over 100 proposed opinions, including in complex civil appeals.
- Presented oral argument in case in which Fourteenth Court of Appeals agreed with our position and reversed almost $400,000 judgment rendered against insurer client.
- Obtained mandamus relief from First Court of Appeals ordering severance of insurance claims from underlying liability suit.
- Prepared and argued jury charge in federal labor-and-employment case in which Thompson Coe obtained a take-nothing judgment.
- Obtained summary judgment under Chapter 82 of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code for seller client, requiring manufacturer defendant to defend and indemnify client.
- Supervised successful appellate defense of summary judgment based on Chapter 95 of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code.
- Drafted successful motion to dismiss for attorney clients based on Texas Rule of Civil Procedure 91a.
- Argued for and obtained summary judgment for corporation based on economic loss rule.
- Obtained full dismissal of breach-of-contract, breach-of-warranty, and DTPA claims filed against real estate management company.
- Was lead appellate counsel and argued before the First Court of Appeals of Texas on matter involving statutory certificate-of-merit requirement.
- Successfully defended against opposing party’s petition for writ of mandamus in fraud lawsuit.
- Drafted jury charge and was lead arguer at charge conference in malpractice lawsuit in which Thompson Coe obtained a take-nothing judgment.
- Frequently handles special appearances challenging Texas’ personal jurisdiction and interlocutory appeals of special appearance rulings.
- Obtained nonsuit for investment administrator client in breach-of-contract and breach-of-fiduciary-duty lawsuit.
Professional and Community Activities
- Houston Red Mass planning committee, 2013-present
- Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization