Albert Betts Jr. focuses his practice on representing the interest of clients before the Texas Department of Insurance and other regulatory agencies along with representing the insurance industry, insurance companies, and other clients before the Texas legislature and other government officials.
Albert has extensive experience as a lawyer and public policy administrator including representing the Department of Insurance in litigation and the state’s workers' compensation carrier in administrative proceedings. Albert has advised the state risk management board, the commissioner of insurance, and political leadership on insurance and workers’ compensation matters. Most recently, Albert served as the Commissioner of Workers’ Compensation for the State of Texas, and as Chief of Staff for the Texas Insurance Commissioner.
Advised and represented HMOs in receiving approval for expansion of service area in Texas. Also advised and represented an HMO in obtaining certificates of authority in other states.
Represented utilization review agents on obtaining certificates of authority to operate as a workers’ compensation utilization review agent in Texas.
Advised and represented a pharmacy benefit manager in obtaining a license to operate as a third party administrator in Texas.
Legal counsel for insurance trade association.
Drafted legislation and amendments on prescription drug issues.
Drafted legislation and amendments on anti-barratry laws.
Drafted legislation and amendments on various workers’ compensation legislation.
Regulatory Issues include:
- Admission of new insurance companies to Texas
- Represent various insurers in disciplinary actions before the TDI.
Represented insurance trade associations and insurance companies in regulatory matters and rulemaking before the Department of Insurance along with representing the interests of insurance trade associations and insurance companies before the Texas Legislature.
Prepared testimony and testified numerous times before legislative committees on workers’ compensation insurance issues and state budget matters.
Worked closely with the Governor’s office, state legislative leaders, legislative committees, and legislative staff on legislation and policy issues and developed and maintained relationships with state lawmakers and agency officials.
Developed and recommended legislative and policy changes to the Governor’s office and legislative leadership.
Appointed as the state’s first Commissioner of Workers’ Compensation to lead the reform of the Texas workers’ compensation system. Unanimously confirmed by the Texas Senate.
Professional and Community Activities
- Austin Bar Association
- Austin Black Lawyers Association
- Texas Legal Protection Plan, Board Chair, 2013
- Federation of Regulatory Counsel, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Insurance Law Section
- State Bar of Texas, Workers’ Compensation Section
- State Bar of Texas, Labor and Employment Law Section
- State Bar of Texas, African-American Lawyers Section
- Board of Directors, Texas Department of Information Resources, Ex-Oficio Member, 2007-2008
- State Bar Administrative and Public Law Council, Member, 1995-1999
Speeches and Presentations
- National Workers’ Compensation and Disability Conference, Las Vegas, NV, November 2012, Panel Discussion on Exclusive Remedy Defense
- Texas Association of Rehabilitation Professionals and Providers of Services, Dallas, October 2012, Legislative and Regulatory Update
- Texas Workers’ Compensation Forum, Austin, October 2012, Case Law Update; Legal Perspective on Determining Whether an Injury is Work Related; and Future Issues in Workers’ Compensation
- Insurance Council of Texas, 2012 Workers’ Compensation Seminar, September 2012, 2013 Legislature and Workers’ Compensation Issues
- Insurance Council of Texas and Association of Fire and Casualty Companies in Texas 2012 Mid Year Property and Casualty Insurance Symposium, July 2012, 2013 Texas Legislature Outlook
- Insurance Council of Texas Spring Workers’ Compensation Seminar, Austin, April 2012, Case law and Appeals Panel Update
- Insurance Council of Texas Spring Workers’ Compensation Seminar, Dallas, March 2012, Case law and Appeals Panel Update
- TCCI, 2012 Labor and Employment Seminar, January 2012, Legislative Update
- November 2011-Texas Workers Compensation Forum, Update on Medical Quality Review and Impact on Care and Costs. Panel Moderator.
- November 2011-Texas Workers’ Compensation Forum, Challenges Facing the Texas Workers’ Compensation System, Panel Member.
- September 2011- Blue Goose Insurance & Liability Workshop, 2011 Property & Casualty Legislative Update
- September 2011- Insurance Council of Texas, Workers’ Compensation Conference, 2011 Workers’ Compensation Legislative Update
- July 2011- Southern Association of Workers’ Compensation Administrators, Former Regulators Panel Discussion
- July 2011- Insurance Council of Texas Mid Year Insurance Symposium, Panel Discussion, Legislative and Regulatory Update
- June 2011- TCCI Legislative Update
- March 2011-NAIC Meeting, Presentation to Federation of Regulatory Counsel Windstorm Insurance Issues in Texas and Other Jurisdictions
- April 7-Texas Association of Rehabilitation Professionals, Austin, Regulatory Update
- April 15-Insurance Council of Texas (ICT) Workers Compensation Seminar, Austin, Legislative Update
- April 29-ICT Workers Compensation Seminar, Dallas, Legislative Update
- June 15-American Insurance Association (AIA), Washington, DC, Panel discussion on Texas Workers Compensation Regulatory Status
- August 19-20, State Bar Advanced Workers Compensation Course, Austin, Perspectives of Former Regulator
- September 2-Austin Claims Association, Austin, Update on Texas Windstorm Insurance Laws
- September 16-17, Texas Workers Compensation Forum, Austin, Panel Discussion on Texas Workers Compensation Market and Presentation
- Presented on Legislative Update and the Upcoming Sunset Review for workers' compensation, August 2009, Insurance Council of Texas 2009 Workers' Compensation Seminar
- Presented on regulation of non-subscribers in Texas, October 2008, Texas Nonsubscriber Conference
- Presented on workers’ compensation law updates, June 2008, Southwestern Insurance Information Services
- Presented on updates to workers’ compensation laws and rules, June 2008, Texas Self-Insurance Association/Texas Certified Self-Insurance Guaranty Association Educational Conference
- Presented on workers’ compensation law update in September 2007, for State Bar Advanced Administrative Law Seminar
- Presented on workers’ compensation reforms in August 2006, for State Bar Workers’ Compensation Seminar
- Panel Member, Workers’ Compensation Reforms, November 2006, All Industry Day
- Presented on reforms to the Texas workers’ compensation system, March 2007, Dallas Ft. Worth Risk and Insurance Management Society
- Presented on update on workers’ compensation laws, April 2006, Texas School Risk Managers Association
- Journal of Insurance Fraud, Summer 2011, V2, Number 1, “Running Down Runners; Legislating Against Soliciting Crash Victims”.
- Nominated by peers to The Best Lawyers in America® 2013 in the field of Insurance Law. (Copyright 2012 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC)
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1991
- University of Texas at Austin , B.A., 1987, Economics
- Texas, 1991
- Western District of Texas, 1993
- United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit, 1992